Glazed Donut Muffins Recipe
Try these easy, delicious glazed donut muffins!
So much easier than making your own donuts, but almost just as delicious. Donut muffins are always a big hit, especially with this yummy glaze.
Nearly any time you might consider donuts, you can have donut muffins instead! Serve donut muffins for breakfast, brunch, a sweet snack, dessert, holidays, parties, baby showers, and any other opportunity you can come up with.
So why are these muffins called “donut” muffins? Donut muffins are a lot like plain vanilla cake donuts in flavor and texture, but without the deep-fat frying. You’ve got to try them!
I usually get about 48 mini muffins from this recipe in my awesome Mega Mini Muffin Pan. Yes, it’s a mega amount of mini muffins going on and I definitely recommend getting one! It barely fits in my oven, but I can bake all my mini donut muffins at one time!
A mega mini muffin pan is awesome for other bite-size recipes like these:
- Low Carb Pizza Mini Muffins
- Taco Bites
- S’mores Cookie Cups
- Mini Cheesecake Tarts
- Low Carb Raspberry Brie Bites
- Spinach Artichoke Feta Bites
- and, of course, almost any muffin or cupcake recipes
Mini donut muffins are fun because they are almost like donut holes and you get more glaze per bite. 😉
Of course, these donut muffins can be made in a standard size muffin pan as well. Adjust the cooking time and plan to make half the amount of the glaze. Another option is baking the batter in a doughnut pan for yummy cake donuts!
A cookie scoop is pretty much perfect for portioning out the batter.
The muffin glaze recipe is sweet and buttery! The glaze and the donut muffins are both great starts for other flavor variations too. Speaking of which, you might also like this amazing Orange Donut Muffin recipe. Yum!
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes?
Subscribe to our weekly recipe email.
The muffin yield and nutrition info will vary depending on how full you fill the muffin pan. If you fill the mini muffin pan more or less with the batter or your pan is sized differently, it will quickly affect the yield when dealing with such small muffins.
Glazed Donut Muffins Recipe
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk or milk
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 425°F/175°C. Lightly grease a mini muffin pan or use liners.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, oil, sugar, and brown sugar until combined and smooth. Add the eggs and beat to combine.
- Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla.
- For this recipe, you will want to measure the flour by lightly spooning into the measuring cup, then leveling off. Stir in the flour alternately with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, about 1 tablespoon for each mini muffin, or about 3/4 full.
- Bake the mini muffins for 7-9 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the middle muffins comes out clean. Do not over bake or the muffins will be dry! (If making standard size muffins in a standard pan, bake for about 15 minutes.)
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, powdered sugar (adding gradually), vanilla, and water. Mix until smooth.
- Dip the top of each muffin into the glaze. Allow the glaze to set, then dip each a second time and allow glaze to set again. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe Adapted From: King Arthur Flour