Easy Homemade Lasagna Freezer Meal Recipe
Easy Freezer Lasagna Recipe
If you’re looking for the best lasagna recipe to freeze, you’ve found it! This homemade lasagna is very easy to make, preparation is pretty quick, and it tastes great from frozen.
If you’re looking for a better way to meal prep, it is really fun to get a group together to cook freezer meals. Sometimes I just double or triple a favorite recipe so I can put some in the freezer for a busy night.
This recipe is also DELICIOUS when prepared in a slow cooker!
Watch how easy it is to make this as a Crockpot Lasagna!
That’s a fun alternative… now back to preparing this as a freezer meal! (It’s SOOO good!)
Browning the Beef
The first step to making this frozen lasagna recipe is really easy, just brown your ground beef up in a skillet. Once it’s browned, drain any excess grease and add your pasta sauce to the skillet.
Tip: Since you’ll be adding a bit of water to the mixture is well, put the water in the empty pasta sauce jar first, shake it up, then empty it into the skillet. That way no pasta sauce is wasted.
Making the Cheese Mixture
The cheese mixture for this lasagna freezer meal is easy to whip up and it’s super flavorful. After you have your beef mixture prepared just mix up these ingredients in a bowl and you’re ready to start assembling your lasagna.
No Need to Cook the Noodles!
You can see that I used oven-ready lasagna noodles here, but you can get away with using traditional uncooked lasagna noodles as long as you don’t forget to add the extra water to the meat sauce mixture.
By not cooking the noodles you’ll have less to worry about, fewer dishes to wash, and you’ll end up saving quite a bit of time!
It’s hard not to love lasagna. The cheese, pasta, meat, and sauce all go together to create a delicious and filling meal that you can end up enjoying for days. I usually heat my leftover lasagna up in the microwave for a quick lunch or even dinner sometimes!
It gets even better when you prepare two of these homemade lasagnas ahead of time. You can then cook one up right away and freeze the other for another night.
If you want to add something extra, we recommend serving this frozen lasagna recipe with a loaf of garlic bread or homemade breadsticks. You can also add a green salad to the side to make it a bit of a healthier meal. 😉
Learn More About Freezer Cooking
- Freezer Recipes
- How to start a Freezer Meal Group
- How to Shop for Freezer Meal Recipes
- How to Prepare Freezer Meals
- What Foods Don’t Freeze Well
- Freezer Meal eBook
More Lasagna Recipes
- Poor Man’s Lasagna Recipe
- Cordon Bleu Lasagna Recipe
- Skillet Lasagna
- Lasagna Soup
- Lasagna Cupcakes
- Mexican Style Lasagna
Easy Homemade Lasagna Freezer Meal Recipe
- 12 pieces Barilla Oven-Ready Lasagne
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground sausage
- 24 ounces pasta sauce
- ½ to 1 cup water
- 8 ounces part skim ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella divided
- ½ cup Parmesan
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9x13 pan (or two 8x8 pans) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Brown ground beef and sausage in a large skillet on medium-high heat, until cooked through. Drain grease, if needed.
- Add pasta sauce to skillet with the ground beef and sausage. Pour 1/2 to 1 cup of water (depending on thickness of sauce and desired consistency) into the empty pasta sauce jar, cover with lid, and shake. Then stir the water into the meat and sauce mixture.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the ricotta, cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, Parmesan, eggs, oregano, basil, parsley, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Spread 1 cup of meat sauce onto the bottom of the pan. Place 3 noodles into pan, then 1/3 of the cheese mixture, then about 1 cup of meat sauce. Repeat noodles, cheese mixture, and meat sauce twice.
- Top lasagna with remaining 1 cup of mozzarella. Spray a piece of foil with cooking spray, then place foil over top of lasagna.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until heated through, removing foil after 45 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
PREPARING FOR THE FREEZER:
- Cover uncooked pan of lasagna with plastic wrap, then foil, and freeze.
PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
- Let thaw in the refrigerator for about 24 hours, then cook (as directed above) for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Or cook from frozen, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until heated through.