Cordon Bleu Lasagna Recipe
Chicken Cordon Bleu – Lasagna Style!
Creamy, cheesy, chicken, ham, and broccoli layered between lasagna noodles! This is a lasagna variation worth trying, especially for the Cordon Bleu fans out there.
You can use up some of your leftover ham and/or chicken in this yummy chicken cordon bleu variation too. No leftover ham? Well, since this cordon bleu dish is pretty delicious, you might want to pick up some quality chopped deli ham and cook up some chicken so you can give it a try. 😉
Chop up some fresh broccoli into small pieces (a bit smaller than bite-size so your lasagna isn’t overly lumpy), or you can blanch the broccoli first if you prefer a slightly more tender floret.
Freshly shredded Parmesan is the way to go, but as you can see from these photos, sometimes you just gotta use what you have! The not-so-freshly grated Parmesan will get the job done in a pinch. (But you should use the freshly grated Parmesan if you can! So good!)
The sauce is made from scratch. Hopefully that doesn’t scare you off, it really isn’t too difficult. Get all of the ingredients measured out, then just stand there stirring and pouring for a bit. No biggie. If you really don’t want to make the sauce, you could probably use a store-bought white sauce, like Alfredo (but I haven’t tried it that way myself).
Then it is simply about layering all of the ingredients. I love the Barilla no-boil lasagna noodles – great taste and quality, plus they are easy to use. I use these same noodles in my favorite manicotti as well.
Remember to reserve about a 1/2 cup of the sauce and 1/4 cup Parmesan for the topping! Hope you enjoy this fun lasagna variation like I do!
This recipe is from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.
Would you like to see more of our recipes?
Subscribe to our weekly recipe email.
Cordon Bleu Lasagna Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup finely minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ⅔ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese + 1/4 cup for topping
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets chopped
- 2 cups cooked diced chicken
- 1-2 cups chopped ham
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese shredded
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Lightly grease a 9X13 baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened, 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour. Keep stirring and cooking over medium heat, for 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually pour in the chicken broth while whisking constantly, letting each addition incorporate and thicken slightly before adding more. Then gradually pour in the milk, whisking constantly.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens slightly, 5-10 minutes. Stir in the salt and pepper and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese. Remove from the heat.
- To assemble, spread a little bit of the sauce (about 1/3 cup) on the bottom of the prepared pan. Add a layer of noodles. Top with half of the broccoli, chicken, and cheeses. Drizzle about a cup of the sauce over the cheese, then follow with half of the ham.
- Add another layer of noodles over the ham and sprinkle the remaining broccoli, chicken and cheeses over the top. Add sauce (leaving about 1/2 cup or so for the top), followed by the remaining ham.
- Add the final layer of noodles and spread the remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese over the sauce.
- Cover the dish with lightly greased aluminum foil and bake for 30-35 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10-15 minutes longer, until bubbling and the noodles are tender.
- Remove the lasagna from the oven, tent with foil, and let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.