Easy Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
Try this cheeseburger soup – an easy ground beef recipe!
I made a few different variations of cheeseburger soup recipes before I could really pick my favorite. They were all pretty good, but this is the one for me!
The soup is easy to make, creamy, cheesy, and yummy. Total comfort food. And it boasts more veggies than your usual cheeseburger!
Cheeseburger Soup Ingredients
I definitely recommend prepping and measuring out ingredients before you start cooking with this recipe. Also, I feel like the potatoes are much better in this soup as small, diced pieces, rather than cubed.
Browning the Beef
Another awesome thing about this cheeseburger soup recipe is I only have to wash one pot at the end of it all! I love having an easy cleanup.
Start by browning the beef in the pot, drain the grease and dump the beef onto a plate or bowl. (I like to use one pound of ground beef, but it will work fine if you use as little as 1/2 of a pound.)
Making the Roux
Now you can cook the veggies in the same pot! The roux is made by simply stirring some flour into the veggies and the butter that is already in there. Easy!
Just so you know, there’s a little bit of flexibility with the liquids in the soup. I’ve made the soup with 3 cups broth and 1 1/2 cups milk and also with 2 1/2 cups broth and 2 cups milk.
Either way tastes great and you probably won’t notice a difference. So you can decide where you want that half cup to come from – milk or broth.
Finishing the Easy Cheeseburger Soup
After those potatoes are tender, it is just a matter of adding the beef and stirring in the cheese, salt, and pepper. You can then add any other topping you like and you’re ready to eat!
You could really have some fun with the toppings on your cheeseburger soup…you can add more shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, green onions, diced fresh tomato, a hamburger bun on the side, pickles?
Let us know what toppings you decide to try. Enjoy!
You might also like these recipes:
- Best Cheeseburger Stuffed Shells Recipe
- Simple Cheeseburger Quesadillas Recipe
- Chipotle Cheeseburgers Recipe
Would you like to see more of our recipes? Subscribe to our weekly recipe email.
Easy Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- ½ to 1 pound lean ground beef
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced, about 1 teaspoon
- ¾ cup onion diced, about 1 small onion
- ½ cup celery diced, about 2 stalks of celery
- 1 cup carrots grated, about 2 carrots
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- In a 3-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, brown the ground beef over medium high heat, breaking into small pieces as it cooks. When cooked through, drain excess fat, transfer meat to a plate, and set aside.
- In the now-empty pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, celery, carrots, and Worcestershire. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions become translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add flour and cook, while whisking, for about 1 minute. Gradually add in the chicken broth and milk, and cook, while whisking, for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 12-15 minutes. Stir in ground beef, cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted. If the soup is too thick, add a little more milk.
- Serve garnished with crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, green onions, diced fresh tomato, or whatever your heart desires.
Recipe Adapted From: The Recipe Critic