Oreo Ice Cream Cake Recipe
This is the best Oreo ice cream cake recipe!
Seriously one of the best ice cream cakes I’ve ever tasted right here! My husband always requests an ice cream cake for his birthday, so it has been on my wish list to find one that is easy enough to make myself, but delicious enough to “take the cake” when compared to store-bought or Dairy Queen ice cream cakes. 😉 Here it is – easy Oreo ice cream cake recipe!
The flavor variations and combinations could be endless! We all love cookies and cream ice cream and Oreo cookies over here, so it is a great option for us. Get creative and try your favorite flavor combinations!
How to make a cookies and cream ice cream cake:
- Prepare and bake the two cake rounds. I like to use a cake mix because it is so easy and convenient.
- Set ice cream out to soften slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Line the same size cake pan with plastic wrap and spread softened ice cream in an even layer into the pan.
- Place the cooled cake rounds and ice cream layer into the freezer to harden.
- Mix up a hot fudge cookie mixture to go between layers.
- Assemble, freeze, then serve!
How to assemble the Oreo ice cream cake:
The cake mix makes two chocolate cake rounds, but only one will be used in this recipe. Keep the other wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer for up to 5 months.
- Cut one cake round in half the long way to form two thinner layers
- First layer: cake
- Top cake with room temp. Oreo hot fudge mixture
- Second layer: ice cream
- Top ice cream layer with Oreo hot fudge mixture
- Third layer: cake
- Frost with whipped topping or fresh whipped cream
- Decorate as desired
If you would like to use fresh whipped cream, this whipped cream recipe is just the right amount to frost a layer cake.
Hot fudge sauce at room temperature (and frozen) is nice and thick, so it definitely works better as a filling than chocolate sauce in this recipe. Making your own hot fudge sauce is easy! Here’s a recipe for microwave hot fudge sauce.
P.S. The Oreo hot fudge filling between the layers is THE BEST part about this cake, in my opinion. I bet you’ll agree!
If you want to make the chocolate cake from scratch, I would use this chocolate cake recipe two 8-inch or 9-inch cake pans. When baking layer cakes, I like to use cake strips to help keep the cakes flat and easy to layer.
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes?
Subscribe to our recipe email.
Oreo Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- 1 box Devil’s Food cake mix
- 1.5 quart container Cookies and Cream Ice Cream softened
- 1 cup hot fudge sauce room temperature
- 20 Oreo cookies plus more for decorating, if desired
- 8 oz container frozen whipped topping thawed (or fresh whipped cream)
- Prepare the cake mix into two 8-inch cake rounds, bake, and let cool completely. Wrap each cake round with plastic wrap and place in the freezer. (Only one of the cake rounds will be used in this recipe. See note.)
- Line the same 8-inch cake pan with plastic wrap and spread the softened ice cream evenly into the pan. Top with plastic wrap and freeze until set, about an hour.
- Coarsely crush or chop 20 Oreo cookies and combine in a medium bowl with 1 cup of room temperature hot fudge sauce.
- Cut one of the cake rounds in half the long way to form two thinner cake layers.
- Place one layer of the chocolate cake on your cake stand or plate. Then spread half of the Oreo fudge mixture on top. Then carefully place the ice cream layer on top and cover it with the remaining half of the Oreo fudge mixture. Top it all off with the final cake layer.
- Frost the cake with the whipped topping. Decorate with Oreo cookies and more hot fudge sauce or chocolate sauce, if desired.
- Place cake back in the freezer until set, usually takes a few hours. Remove cake from freezer about 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Recipe Adapted From: I Wash You Dry