Air Fryer Pepperoni Stromboli
Quick and Easy Air Fryer Stromboli!
Stromboli is similar to a calzone, but more like a rolled sandwich with a crispy, golden crust!
Feel free the change up the filling with whatever you want! Generally, stromboli involves a sauce, deli meats, and cheese. If you like it more cheesy, add more cheese! We love pepperoni pizza toppings in our stromboli, so that’s what I’m going with here. Turkey pepperoni is what I used in the photos. (I’ve made Pepperoni Stromboli as a freezer meal before too if you want to check that out.)
The Easiest Stromboli Dough Ever
Any pizza dough, including store-bought, will work with this recipe, as long as you roll it out thin enough, about 1/4-inch thick. I love the simplicity of the self rising flour and Greek yogurt option in the recipe below. (My favorite homemade pizza dough recipe would be a great option as well.)
Simply mix self rising flour and nonfat plain Greek yogurt together until a thick, shaggy dough forms.
Self Rising Flour Substitute
If you don’t have self-rising flour, no problem. Try this substitution to make 2 cups of self rising flour…
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
How to Make Air Fryer Stromboli
The recipe instructs to cut the dough rectangle in half to form two rectangles is because it will be difficult to fit in most air fryers otherwise. If you decide to bake it in the oven, leave the dough as one large rectangle, instead of cutting into two. (See oven instructions below.)
Once you have your sauce, cheese, and meat on there, it is time to roll it up, like you would with cinnamon rolls. Once it is rolled up, pinch the edge to seal. Then tuck each end under and pinch to seal.
Final steps before cooking are brushing with the beaten egg, adding additional topping, and cutting diagonal slits. I like to top with additional shredded cheese. Some other options are chopped fresh parsley or sesame seeds or a combination of those.
How Long to Cook Stromboli in the Air Fryer
Air fry at 340°F for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. You can use an instant read thermometer to determine if the center is cooked through. If your stromboli is thicker or fuller, it may take a little longer. If it begins to get too dark on top, but not cooked through enough, you can reduce the air fryer temperature or cover the stromboli in foil for the last few minutes.
I can barely fit both stromboli in my air fryer at one time, but it works! Hooray! Try to keep them from touching each other or air fry each separately, if needed.
Pepperoni Stromboli Oven Instructions
Don’t have an air fryer? No problem, although I highly recommend the Cosori 5.8QT air fryer!
Oven Instructions: Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray baking sheet with oil spray. Make dough and roll it out as instructed in the recipe below, but leave the dough in one large rectangle. Add toppings and roll it up. Place on prepared baking sheet. Brush with egg wash, sprinkle with cheese, cut diagonal slits (all as instructed in recipe below). Bake in oven for 22-25 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
See more of our favorite air fryer recipes!
Need a crash course on your air fryer? Check out these air fryer guides:
- All about the best and worst Air Fryer Accessories
- How to Clean Your Air Fryer
- FREE Download: Top 18 Air Fryer Tips and get air fryer recipes delivered to your inbox every weekend!
Air Fryer Pepperoni Stromboli
- 1 ¾ cups self rising flour
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons pizza sauce plus extra for dipping
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese plus extra for topping
- 2 ½ ounces pepperoni
- 1 egg beaten
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, combine self rising flour and Greek yogurt until a thick dough forms. Dough will be shaggy and thick, but should mostly stick together when pressed into a ball. Roll out dough into a 10"x14" rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Cut the rectangle of dough in half to form two rectangles (to fit in the air fryer).
- Spread about 2 tablespoons pizza sauce on each rectangle, leaving a 2-inch border around the edges. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over the sauce on each, then top with pepperoni.
- Roll the rectangles of dough up into logs, like you would with cinnamon rolls. Pinch the edges together and tuck and pinch the ends under. Brush the tops of the stromboli with the beaten egg. Sprinkle additional cheese over top. Use a sharp knife to gently cut diagonal slit, every 2 inches, in the top of each stromboli.
- Preheat air fryer. Spray air fryer basket with oil. Place both stromboli in the air fryer basket, if they will fit without touching each other. Air fry at 340°F for about 10 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Let rest for a few minutes, the cut into slices and serve with extra pizza sauce for dipping.
Oven Instructions: Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray baking sheet with oil spray. Follow instructions above, but keep stromboli as one big roll and place on baking sheet. Bake for 22-25 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
Recipe Adapted From: @elyseaellis on Instagram