Homemade Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
Try this homemade shrimp cocktail recipe!
We partnered with Silver Spring Foods to bring you this delicious, easy recipe for homemade shrimp cocktail! #GiveItZing with Silver Spring! And that’s exactly what horseradish does for this easy cocktail sauce recipe. Perfect for football entertaining, tailgating, holiday parties, and more!
Family-owned Silver Spring Foods is the world’s largest grower and processor of horseradish. And they offer quite the amazing variety of high quality horseradish products and ways to use them, even more than pictured above. It was hard to choose which to add to this shrimp cocktail sauce recipe because so many sounded so good! Which ones do you want to try?!
I went with the specialty Horseradish Sauce for the cocktail sauce this time, creamy and tart with a bit of heat too. This horseradish sauce also goes well with roast beef sandwiches, tuna or chicken salad, baked potatoes, hamburgers, and veggies.
I didn’t think I liked horseradish, but my eyes have been opened. It is so good in this cocktail sauce and it sounds amazing on any of those other food ideas. Yum! Horseradish really is an easy way to add zing to your football entertaining or tailgating recipes and go from traditional to traditional with a twist.
To keep the shrimp from overcooking, cool them off immediately after they are done boiling. There are a few ways to do this…dump the contents of the pot into a colander, then rinse with cold water, or add a bunch of ice cubes to the pot and stir.
Hmm. What else can you add horseradish to for some extra zing? These sauces and specialty products from Silver Spring Foods make it easy. The only hard part may be choosing which to try first.
Of course, you can buy cocktail sauce too. But it is pretty easy to make homemade cocktail sauce – it doesn’t even need to cook. Just whisk the ingredients together!
The shrimp and cocktail sauce can be made up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerated until serving.
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes?
Subscribe to our recipe email.
You might also like this recipe for Jalapeno Poppers!
Nutrition info may vary depending on the ingredients you use.
Homemade Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
- 6 to 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 lemon (reserve 1 teaspoon of juice for sauce)
- 2 pounds frozen medium or large shrimp in shell
Homemade Cocktail Sauce
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Silver Spring Foods Horseradish Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Add water, salt, and a lemon cut in half to a large pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then add frozen shrimp. Let cook for a few minutes, about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are cooked through and pink. Then either remove the shrimp from hot water and rinse with cold water, or add ice to the pot to cool it down and keep the shrimp from continuing to cook.
- Let shrimp cool enough to handle, then drain water, if not already done. Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the tails intact.
- For the cocktail sauce, whisk the ingredients together until combined. Store sauce and shrimp in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Shrimp and sauce can be made up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerated until serving.
Recipe Adapted From: Mel's Kitchen Cafe