How to Save Money at the Grocery Store Without Using Coupons
So as we addressed before, many of you don’t use coupons anymore… in fact, we don’t use coupons like we used to either. BUT that doesn’t mean we don’t love to save money! Aside from watching the sales, there is another easy strategy you can use that doesn’t take much more effort to help you save money.
Use Rebate Programs From Your Phone!
There are so many great rebate programs out there! Generally, all you have to do is download the app onto your phone, activate the offers you are interested in, and then scan your receipt after you are done shopping! And guess what? If 3 different companies are offering a rebate on the same thing, you get to redeem the rebate on all four offers!! It’s like using 3 coupons, legally, on one item!!
Some of our favorite programs are Ibotta, Mobisave, SavingStar, Checkout51, BerryCart, and of course, we don’t want to forget about Walmart Savings Catcher! The first 5 are coupon programs, where you get the value of the “coupon” in the form of a digital rebate, and once you hit a certain threshold (that varies per company – some don’t have a threshold) you can cash out into your bank/paypal account or for fun rewards like Amazon Gift Cards!
Ibotta is the original e-rebate program. It’s been around the longest and we’ve been using it forever. Join now, and get a $10 bonus when you redeem your first rebates!
Mobisave – Just like Checkout51, save the items you are going to purchase, buy them at any store, take a photo of your receipt and get cash back! The best pary: you get paid quickly! You’ll never wait more than 24 hours for your savings. They drop it right into your PayPal account.
SavingStar is great because every Friday they offer you a FREE item! 100% back, and it’s usually something delicious and indulgent (like a candy bar). Your rebates on this one are attached to your store savings cards (More below!)
Checkout51 – Every Thursday morning, Checkout 51 updates with a new list of offers. All you have to do is pick the ones you like, purchase them at any store, and upload a photo of your receipt through the mobile app or website. When your account reaches $20.00, they send you a check!
Berrycart – First, you find deals on organic, gluten-free, or non-GMO foods near you. Then you get to learn a little.
Digest bite-sized insights about each product with a fun fact, quiz, testimonial, and more. We tell the story about products and brands that have a great story to tell. Finally, after you buy the product and snap a picture of the receipt, and they send you money within 24 hours (straight to your PayPal account or you can cash it in for gift cards!)
Walmart Savings Catcher is amazing! You scan your receipt, and it checks local ads, giving you the difference back between what you paid and the lowest local cost on a Walmart Gift Card. Pretty awesome, and when using all of these programs your savings can add up quickly!
Get Your Reward On
If you don’t already have a reward or loyalty card from your favorite grocery store, it’s time to sign up! Most stores have rewards, coupons, and freebies you can earn or receive simply by scanning your store loyalty card. From exclusive discount prices and coupons to reward points that turn into cash and savings at the gas pump, using a rewards card is key to saving money at the grocery store! The trick is to be educated about the offers that are available with each store loyalty card and then use them to your advantage. I figure the more a store can offer me in perks and savings, the more likely I am to shop there!
Some stores offer better rewards than others so today I’m going to outline the advantages to each of the top 5 Loyalty Cards – Target, Kroger (which is Fred Meyer where I live), Walgreens, Rite Aid, and CVS.
Fred Meyer is one of my favorite places to use a rewards card. Fred Meyer is a Kroger affiliate store and Kroger Stores use a Plus Card. You can sign up for a Fred Meyer Rewards or Plus Card online, at any check stand or at the Customer Service Desk. If you want to use your card immediately I would get one at the store. Make sure to register your card online, give them your current address, phone number and everything else they need because of all the cool perks they will send you.
- Receive Coupons in the mail: They will mail you store coupons based on what they notice you have bought in the past. This is very useful because I get coupons I will actually use, and I don’t have to worry about printing coupons or scouring the newspaper. I keep the ones I like in my purse.
- Rewards Rebate: every quarter they mail you a rewards rebate based on a percentage of how much you spent in the last quarter! You can spend this rebate like cash in the store. If you spend about $40 or more a week at Fred Meyer ($500 per quarter), you will earn a Rewards Rebate. Just be sure to scan your Rewards Card every time you shop (you can also type in your phone number if you linked it to your card).
- Gas Rewards: Earn $0.10 off per gallon for every $100 you spend in the store each month up to $1.00 off a gallon at Fred Meyer Fuel Center and participating Shell Stations. Purchase third party gift cards at Fred Meyer, and you’ll receive 2 Fuel Points for every $1 you spend. For each eligible prescription you fill at a Fred Meyer Pharmacy, you’ll earn 50 Fuel Points when you scan your Rewards Card at the time you pay for your prescription. Also, check the bottom of your receipts, sometimes you will receive an offer to take a survey and receive 50 extra bonus points which translate to fuel points!
- Community Rewards: I love that Fred Meyer not only rewards me for being a loyal customer but I can support my favorite local charity or school by linking my Rewards card to them and then using my Rewards Card in the store!
- Digital Coupons: Kroger has some great coupons that you can load directly to your Rewards Card. No more clipping! All you do is purchase the item at the checkstand, scan your rewards card and the coupon comes off after the cashier presses the total key!
- Freebie Fridays: Every Friday Kroger has had a freebie coupon that you can load to your card available while supplies last on Fridays only!
- Senior Citizen Tuesdays – Seniors 55 and older can save 10% every first Tuesday of every month.
- You can track your rewards online. Plus using your Rewards card makes returns a snap, you just scan the item and your card. No more keeping receipts!
- Sign up for the Fred Meyer or Kroger Credit card and earn Rewards and Fuel Points quicker!
- Make sure you download the Kroger app for iPhone or Android. You’ll be able to check for new offers and load them to your loyalty card, plus check store circulars, and refill your prescriptions from the app on the go.
Benefits of a Target REDcard
- Discounts. Having a RED card will deduct 5% from all Target purchases! This is a big deal. Plus, this is an immediate discount taken at the register, not some cash back rebate that you have to wait forever for!
- FREE shipping and unlike other sites there is no minimum purchase to receive the free shipping. So you can order those shoes you are not sure if they will fit, get free shipping and if you need to return them you can take them back to the physical store!
- REDcard Returns. You will get an extra 30 days to return your unwanted items with your Target REDcard .
- REDcard Education Donations. 1% of all Target Redcard purchases are donated to the K-12 school of your choice.
- Redcard Contests and Promotions. From time to time and during the holiday Seasons especially Target REDcard Holders are eligible for exclusive giveaways, deals and sweepstakes! I’ve seen days where REDcard holders get free or reduced food items from the foodcourt, and other cool stuff!
- Target Cartwheel – this is a Target coupon and discount app that can save you tons of money at the register. Just load the app to your phone (Android and iPhone), then load coupons into your account. There is a barcode on the app that the cashier scans at checkout and all the coupons in your account will be discounted for your purchase. Easy!
CVS Extra Care
Extra Care Card Benefits:
- Discounted Member Prices. Only Extra Care Members will receive the sale prices listed in the store and ad. You can get an Extra Care Card online or in-stores or on your mobile device.
- ExtraCare Coupon Center. Every CVS has a big red machine called the Coupon Center. Scan your ExtraCare card at the Coupon Center before you shop in-store to print coupons for your favorite products, special weekly offers, freebies and more. You can also choose to send coupons to your Extra Care card.
- ExtraBucks. When you make a qualified purchase a coupon like receipt will print out at the register and can be used like cash on your next purchase (a few exclusions apply). These are advertised in the weekly ad and often times included in the advertised final price. For example something that is advertised for $6.99 with $2 Extrabucks when you buy 1 would mean you would pay $6.99 for the product and get $2 in extrabucks that would print at the register that you could use on your next visit. You will also earn 2% cash back in the form of Extra Care Bucks on every purchase in-store and online. Every three months these Extra Bucks will print out at the end of your receipt. Also, when you fill 10 prescriptions, you can earn $5 ExtraBucks Rewards when you join ExtraCare Pharmacy & Health Rewards. Join the CVS Beauty Club and when you spend $50 annually on qualifying purchases you will receive a $5 ExtraBucks reward after checkout. Along with that you will get a 10% off Beauty Shopping pass after enrollment, a $3 Extra Care Buck on your Birthday, exclusive coupons, and more!
- Sign up for CVS emails and get exclusive coupons and offers sent directly to your inbox.
- Sign up for the CVS advisor panel – CVS will email you online surveys and research studies throughout the year to gather your input about CVS stores, products and services. You will receive printable coupons, Extra Care Bucks and more!
Rite Aid Wellness+ Card
- Wellness+ Card for FREE and start saving with Wellness Only Members price throughout the store.
- Wellness+ Rewards – Earn 1 point for every dollar spent on eligible non-prescription purchases you make when you scan your card at the register. Earn 25 points for every prescription filled. When you earn 1000 points you become a Gold Member which gets you 20% off nearly everything in the store for an entire year! Once you have accumulated 500 points you can go online and claim a reward, there are giftcards, magazines, discount cards and more for you to use your points on!
- Earn +Up rewards are credits earned when you purchase specially marked +UP merchandise throughout the store. Then you can use your +Up rewards just like cash on your next visit, for up to $150 in savings per week!.
- Load2Card – load eCoupons right to your Wellness+ Card online, use in store by just scanning your card at the register. Get over $100 in eCoupons on your favorite brands like P&G eSavers every month! You can also get the Rite Aid mobile app to load coupons and savings on the go!
- Free shipping on $34.99 0r more.
Walgreens Balance Rewards
The Walgreens Balance Rewards Card like all of the above cards is a savings and rewards card~
- Balance Rewards member, earn 5,000 points and receive a $5 reward to redeem on your next purchase. The more points you earn, the bigger your reward. You can check points at the bottom of your receipt, online or on the Walgreens app to find out your balance.
- 5,000 = $5.00
- 10,000 = $10.00
- 18,000 = $20.00
- 30,000 = $35.00
- 40,000 = $50.00
- Special Sales- Sale prices at Walgreens are exclusive to Balance Reward Members so if you want the price in the ad you will need a Balance Reward Card.
- If you want to use manufacturer coupons, you can stack your earned points and store and manufacturer coupons on the same purchase. It’s important to know that when you redeem points on a purchase, you won’t be earning points on that purchase.
- Earn Balance Rewards points just for doing everyday healthy activities like going for a walk or eating healthier. You’ll get 20 points any time you record an activity, 250 points when you set your first goal, and 250 points when you connect a device or app. Your points expire 3 years after they were earned or if you have not used your card in 6 months.
- You can also sign up for offers and promotions on a variety of products, exclusively for Balance Rewards members.
- Load eCoupons to your card. Just go online and sign into your account then you are able to load coupons to your card, scan your card at your next visit when purchasing the items and your coupons will automatically come off!
- Free shipping on orders of $25 or more.