How to Eliminate the Urine Smell in the Bathroom
If you’ve got boys, then you just may be like me and have an underlying funk smell in the bathroom. And what can be discouraging is that no matter how much you scrub, that nasty smell may go away for a few hours, but then return by the end of the day. I got fed up with it enough to do some research to figure out a solution that will work! What I found is something that leaves the bathroom looking AND smelling clean! If you have a smelly pee odor in your bathroom, you’ll want to get started on this today!
What I love even more about this is that it only takes a few basic (and natural) ingredients AND it’s friendly on your budget! Easy peasy!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Baking Soda
- Lemon Juice
- White Vinegar
- Measuring Cup
- Use a fresh lemon and squeeze the juice into a bowl
- Add baking soda to the lemon juice to make a paste. The paste should not be runny, but more like a thick cake batter consistency.
- For this next step, if you’re feeling a little squirmish about it, use some rubber gloves!
- Rub the paste along all areas that have spray or noticeable buildup including the seat, along the bottom of the toilet where it meets the floor, along the back of the toilet, tank, and underneath the rim of the stool area. Allow to set for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid to the toilet tank and add 1/2 cup vinegar to the water. Allow to sit for 15 minutes as well. The funky smell in your bathroom can actually sit and permeate the tank of the toilet so don’t skip this step.
- While the baking soda and lemon paste is setting, clean all areas around the toilet: walls, cupboards, sink, and bathtub. You can use a spoonful of the lemon paste to clean with a washcloth.
- If your toilet is next to a bathtub with shower curtain, toss the shower curtain in the washer and add 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the final rinse cycle to freshen that up as well. After giving everything a good scrub you should notice a difference in the smell already. It’s amazing to me how far and WHERE there seems to be urine in the bathroom….leave no wall unscrubbed or tile unwashed. 🙂
- After 15 minutes, flush the toilet to wash out the water from the tank. Flush 2-3 times, then add in another 1/2 cup of vinegar and allow to sit while you are finishing up the cleaning process. If there is visible build up along the tank walls you’ll need to scrub down the tank….but please make sure to wear a pair of gloves!
- Next, grab a toothbrush, pour vinegar over it, then scrub at the areas where the baking soda & lemon paste is around the toilet. Scrub all areas well with the toothbrush, then pour small amounts of the vinegar over the paste and wipe away with a washcloth. If you see a residue build up along the water line in the toilet bowl, a pumice stone is a great way to scrub it off. I use this one and feel like it is very effective.
- Flush the toilet another 2-3 times to once again flush out the vinegar in the tank.
Once all of those steps are done, you will not only have a sparkling clean toilet, the bathroom will be smelling MUCH better!
Check out all of our other amazing homemade cleaning recipes!
Trending Blog Posts
Report a Problem
Please select the problem you are facing with this deal:
- Price Increased
- Price Decreased
- No longer available
- Link doesn't work
Add more details:
Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate it.
Enter your email address if you would like to receive a follow up.
Please Try Again