How to Make Money With DoorDash
What is DoorDash?
DoorDash is a food delivery app that allows you to order your favorite foods straight to your doorstep, from hundreds of different restaurants. It’s pretty amazing! You can literally order a steak dinner through DoorDash if you wanted.
What makes DoorDash unique is that unlike most restaurant delivery systems that employ their drivers, the DoorDash delivery system is completely reliant on independent contractors who help deliver food on their own schedules. These independent contractors, also known as Dashers, are regular people just like me and you. In fact, if delivering food sounds like something you wouldn’t mind doing, you can make money as a dasher too, and it’s easy to get started.
Below, we’re going to break down how Door Dash drivers make money, the benefits of driving for DoorDash, how you can sign up, and we’re even going to give you some tips on how to increase your income while making deliveries. Get ready!
How to Make Money As a Dasher
As a DoorDash driver, you can earn some extra money or even a full-time income by picking up and delivering food orders door-to-door. In other words, you make money by making people extremely happy! I mean, who doesn’t like seeing the take-out person pull up in the driveway?
How payment works:
First, each order has a base pay that typically ranges from $2-$10+. This base pay is calculated based on the time, distance, and desirability of an order. That means orders that are farther away are going to have a higher base pay.
Next, promotions are special bonuses that allow you to make more money on orders that meet certain conditions. There are currently challenges, peak pay hours, and Drive orders that all offer higher pay.
Lastly, tips can be left by customers and you get to keep 100% of the tips you earn.
Benefits of Being a Dasher
I’m sure you can already see the appeal of being a DoorDash driver, with the biggest benefit being that you get to work when you want, where you want. Whether you’re Dashing full-time or on the side for extra money, you can simply hop on the app whenever you get a chance and start delivering! You’re not tied down to any particular schedule.
Another benefit of driving for DoorDash rather than rideshare apps like Uber or Lyft is that you don’t have to deal with passengers. It’s just you, some food, and the road!
Requirements and Sign Up Details
Before you can start dashing, there are some requirements you’ll have to meet:
- Must be 18 or older
- Must have an acceptable means of delivery for your city (car, bike, or scooter)
- Must provide your DL number
- If you’re in the US, you’ll need to provide your SSN
- Must consent to a background check
If you meet all the requirements above and want to sign up, the process is super straightforward (my 18-year-old daughter was able to sign up in 17 minutes)! Just submit your application here, fill out your basic details, and then wait to be approved. Once you’re approved you can download the app and start delivering!
How to Make More Money With DoorDash
Although being a DoorDash driver is as simple as opening the app and accepting deliveries, if you want to maximize your earnings, it’s better to have a strategy. Here are a few tips to help you earn even more:
- Drive during busy times – This will vary depending on where you live, but typically around lunch or dinner time is the best time to deliver. Weekends are typically busier than weekdays.
- Pick high paying jobs – As a DoorDash driver, you can see how much a delivery pays before accepting it. If you’re getting a lot of incoming jobs, pick the ones that pay the most/are the closest to increase your hourly rate.
- Track your mileage and other expenses – Since being a DoorDash driver makes you an independent contractor, it’s on you to track deductible expenses for when tax time comes around. Be sure to download an app to track your mileage while on the job, and keep track of vehicle expenses (e.g. insurance, repairs, etc.) that you can write off. Also, it’s a good idea to set aside around 20-30% of your DoorDash income for taxes, just in case.
- Use a car with good gas mileage – The less you spend on gas, the more money you keep in your pocket!
- Take advantage of promotions – As I mentioned above, promotions allow you to earn more money for orders that meet certain conditions. For example, the “Peak Pay” promotion goes into effect during certain busy times and allow you to earn more for each delivery. Keep an eye out for these!
These tips are pretty straightforward but if you follow them you should be able to optimize your earnings AND spend less time waiting around for orders.
Being a DoorDash driver is a pretty good gig if you enjoy driving! You can listen to some music or podcasts to make the time go by, and then just clock as many deliveries as you can. Best of all, you can start or stop whenever you feel like it. I can certainly think of worse jobs 🙂
Now, when you first sign up, it will probably take some time to get the hang of things and to figure out the best strategy for your area, but give it time! Follow the tips we listed above and you’ll definitely be able to boost your hourly rate bit by bit.
Remember, it’s easy and quick to sign up so if you want to give it a shot to try to make some extra money, you can sign up here.
Are you a current or former DoorDash driver? Let us know your experience in the comments below!
Other Posts You Might Like:
- How to Make Money Cooking From Home
- 15 Meal Planning Tips to Save Money and Time
- Top 10 Best Selling Crafts to Make and Sell Yourself
Trending Blog Posts
Report a Problem
Please select the problem you are facing with this deal:
- Price Increased
- Price Decreased
- No longer available
- Link doesn't work
Add more details:
Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate it.
Enter your email address if you would like
to receive a follow up.
Please Try Again