DIY Wall Cleaner
Sometimes I just happen to look at a wall, when the light is just right, and notice a bunch of fingerprints, grease marks, and/or smudges. Most of them are at small-child-height, but not all. Often I quickly look the other way and pretend I never saw it. Eventually, I begin to notice more and more. Then, after a while longer and a few more smudges, I decide it is time to get to work and finally clean those walls!
I am sharing this wall cleaner recipe with you today because…
- It is gentle enough for painted walls, trim, baseboards, and washable wallpaper.
- It is really easy to throw together.
- It is CHEAP.
Give it a try! As with most cleaning solutions, please test it on a small inconspicuous area first. Just in case.
Add all of the ingredients to a spray bottle and gently shake to combine. Spray onto wall and wipe off with microfiber cloth. You can also mix up this solution in a small bucket or bowl and dip the cloth into the container, squeeze out all of the excess, then wipe the walls clean. I promise, you will not be able to smell the vinegar once it dries.
I like to add some essential oils or lemon juice to the mix to help mask the vinegar smell and many oils have great cleansing properties too. Lavender, lemon, grapefruit or lime, and several other essential oils could be great additions!
If you have some major scuffs, crayon marks, or other tough dirt, you may need to pull out some Magic Erasers or other strong cleaning solution. (Just be careful because strong cleaners may remove paint also.) We like the generic eraser cleaners too, they aren’t as high quality, but they get the job done and are so much cheaper.
For Spring cleaning, you might try doing one room a day or something like that to make it seem quick and easy. If you dare, assign and teach a child or two how to wipe down the baseboards. Before you know it, your walls will be clean and fresh!
See more of our favorite DIY Household Cleaner Recipes.
DIY Wall Cleaner
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 4-6 drops essential oil
- Combine ingredients in a spray bottle. Gently shake to combine. Spray onto surface and wipe clean with a sponge or microfiber cloth.
- Or combine ingredients in a small bucket or bowl and stir to combine. Dip a sponge or microfiber cloth into the solution, then wring out the excess liquid in order to avoid drips. Wipe surface clean.
- Do not over-saturate walls. Sponge or cloth should be damp, but not dripping wet.
Please test the cleaning solution on a small inconspicuous area first.
Trending DIY Projects