Homemade Outdoor Play Areas for Kids for Hours of Summer Fun!
Home Improvement Hacks: DIY Play Areas for Kids for Hours of Summer Fun!
On today’s installment of home improvement ideas on Fabulessly Frugal I am excited to share with you some easy, inexpensive, and fun ways you can make your backyard lively again! I am sharing 5 ideas with you to help inspire you and your kids to get outside and play!
You will love these backyard fun ideas because purchases are simple, assembly is minimal, and it is guaranteed fun! Share with us which idea you will try or ideas that you think I missed!
How to Make an Outdoor Play Area for Kids
There are many different ways you can make the backyard a fun place to play, here are just a couple of ideas.
1. Outdoor Hammock Getaway
Set up a place of retreat for your kids with a hammock. Your kids will love to spend summer evening lying in the hammock and relaxing! There are a lot of different ways you place the hammock to make it a summer getaway. Here are a few ideas:
1. Place the hammock in the shade, between two trees.
Photo from Yard Envy.
Learn the best practices for placing hammocks in the backyard.
2. Place it underneath a table for a simple retreat (You could even add fairy lights, an outdoor blanket, and some pillows to make it a fun evening excursion in the cool of the summer!)
Photo from Little Bit Funky
How to make a homemade palette table.
2. Rock Box Sensory Bin
Rock box sensory bin is a fun and easy way to help the kids get their hands dirty and involved! You only need 5 things to make this fun and easy homemade summer play for your kids.
Supplies You Need:
- All purpose sand AND play sand (both sands will help keep it wet and enjoyable to play with).
- Bag of river rocks or other rocks of your choice
- large Rubbermaid bin or similar storage bin to hold sand and rocks
- PVC connectors
- Construction trucks or other sand toys
View the Instructions at Frogs, Snails, and Puppy Dog Tails
Or make a sensory pit/construction zone!
You can make this a larger sensory area for kids to play in by using a kitty pool and filling it with sand, rocks, water, beans, rice, etc.
3. Easy DIY Mud Kitchen
A mud kitchen is a great for the kids’ imagination, sensory play, and natural science experiments. The kids can enjoy hours of summer fun with a homemade mud kitchen. Plus, it is so easy to make! Check out these inexpensive supplies you will need!
- Wood (two 2×4’s and four 1×6’s) – about $9 total
- Pallets – two half pallets or one full pallet that you can cut in half (can often find for free)
- Wood Screws
- 10 Pavers (you may have a few extra around your yard or purchase for around $3 each)
- Sink (price varies greatly — you can use bins or try a Habitat ReStore for a cheap option)
- Drain strainer – about $4 total
4. Homemade Backyard Swing
Nothing says fun and summer like a swing! Swing are great for just about all ages! You can either purchase an expensive swing set, or you can make this awesome homemade backyard swing!
- 5 feet of 1-inch x .75-inch wood planks
- 1-inch wooden beads
- 20 feet of ⅜-inch braided nylon rope
- ⅜-inch drill bit
- 2 metal rings
- polyurethane sealer (optional)
- tree swing hanging apparatus of your choosing
Or you might love to make a Platform Swing. Check it out!
5. Giant Bubble Wands & Water Blob
Enjoy hours of fun with this awesome and inexpensive bubble wands! Pair the bubble wands with a homemade water blob and your kids will love playing outside! Or instead of a water blob, make a homemade slip and slide!
More ideas for hours of summer fun!
Report a Problem
Please select the problem you are facing with this deal:
- Price Increased
- Price Decreased
- No longer available
- Link doesn't work
Add more details:
Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate it.
Enter your email address if you would like
to receive a follow up.
Please Try Again