105 Cheap Date Night Ideas for Couples
I’ve been married for
20 24 years now, and I’ll be the first to say that having a successful and loving marriage takes work! If you don’t take the time to nourish it, your marriage relationship can evolve from a relationship of loving adoration into one that feels like you’re nothing but business partners managing home, work, and family schedules together.
One thing my husband and I have always tried to do is to make Friday night date night a priority each week (thank you for the great example, mom and dad). Rather than always doing dinner and a movie (that gets expensive real quick), or even worse, dinner and grocery shopping 🙂 … we’ve tried to get a little creative at times. Here is a list of more than 100 cheap date night ideas!
If you’re feeling stress in your marriage, take some time to have an open conversation about it… remember to stay at level zero and to look for the good in your partner! Also remember the difficulties you’re having right now will most likely be non-existent in 1, 3 or 5 years from now. Work through it together!
My other piece of advice? Go to a good marriage counselor before you get close to calling it quits! OK, off my soap box now…
105 Cheap Date Night Ideas
- Take a new class
- Do yard work together
- Play board games (WYR is one of our favorites!)
- Learn a new hobby
- Build dream houses with Legos
- Feed ducks at the pond
- Go for a picnic
- Play on a playground – they’re not just for kids!
- Have a movie marathon
- Go to the library
- Go for a walk & talk
- Attend a free community event
- Camp out in your back yard
- Plan a scavenger hunt in a mall or park
- Build a fort and spend the night in it
- Bake something yummy and share it
- Play 1-on-1 basketball
- Prepare a 3-course meal
- Dinner by candle light
- Go for a swim
- Learn a new sport
- Play video games
- Refinish a piece of furniture
- Play sharades
- Have a Nerf gun war
- Hike a new trail
- Host a couples game night or BBQ
- Attend a high school or college play
- Tour a museum
- Offer service to someone in need
- Go camping and make s’mores
- Visit the local zoo or aquarium
- Volunteer together in the community
- Go roller skating
- Exchange massages
- Interview each other or write love letters
- Work on family history
- Reenact your first date
- Watch a movie at a drive in movie theater
- Go fishing
- Power outage date night – do everything in the dark or by candlelight
- Star gaze at night on a rooftop
- Watch your wedding video or look at photographs
- Park on a hill and look out at the city lights
- Go bird watching
- Play ping pong
- Browse a flea market
- Dream-storm together and write down your goals
- Build a puzzle
- Go on a long bike ride
- Bowling with friends – Cosmic is always fun too!
- Give each other pedicure/manicures
- Turn your bedroom into a fancy hotel room
- Get your favorite team gear on and attend a sporting event (Blue & Orange of course ;))
- Go hunting or wildlife watching
- Take a mini day trip
- Create a love journal to pass back & forth
- Make homemade ice cream or root-beer
- Create a time capsule
- Enjoy a lazy day
- Sit and people watch in a busy place
- Take a relaxing bubble bath together
- Act like a tourist and tour your hometown
- Play spin the bottle
- Have a make-out session with fancy fruits & chocolate
- Test drive a fun car
- Attend a carnival, fair or town carnival
- At home car wash in your driveway
- Horseback riding
- Plan & plant a garden
- Visit a local street or farmers market
- Run a 5K or marathon
- Fly kites on a windy day
- Host a fondue night
- Play hide & seek in the dark
- Go window shopping in the city
- Make marshmallow guns
- Host a married prom
- Sculpt masterpieces with play-dough
- Make homemade pizzas for dinner
- Watch the sunset
- Play racquetball or tennis
- Go to the gym
- Make Christmas gifts for friends and family
- Adopt a pet & purchase supplies
- Collect sea shells at the beach
- Host a progressive dinner
- Hit a bucket of balls at a local driving range
- Go out for ice cream or slices of pie
- Try a new restaurant
- Plan a vacation and how to start saving for it
- Plan a disposable camera day then have the pictures developed
- Go thrift store shopping
- Train for a big race
- Learn a new card game
- Attend a Bingo night or book club
- Sing in a karaoke bar
- Go out for coffee or dessert
- Go to an arcade
- Attend a free concert in the park
- Enjoy a bottle of Sparking Cider on the beach
- Play a round of mini golf
- Have a bake-off – pies, cakes, cookies, you name it!
- Build something for the home
- Read a book/books to each other
More Cheap Date Night Ideas
Try one of the highly rated books below to find even more great inexpensive date night ideas!
Dating Fun for Couples: 400 Creative Dating Ideas for You to Try:
Little Book of Great Dates: 52 Creative Ideas to Make Your Marriage Fun:
Budget Dating: 122 Fun, Creative, Yet Cheap Date Ideas [Kindle Edition]:
What are your favorite cheap date night ideas? OR do you have any great marriage advice?
Trending Blog Posts
Report a Problem
Please select the problem you are facing with this deal:
- Price Increased
- Price Decreased
- No longer available
- Link doesn't work
Add more details:
Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate it.
Enter your email address if you would like to receive a follow up.
Please Try Again
Great ideas! Sometimes the cheapest dates are the most memorable/fun. I can’t wait to try some of these out.
You’re so right Kelli!
Some fantastic ideas here Cathy! I’m all for #101! 😉
Our first date was at a restaurant. Our first date as a couple was at The Home Depot. Looking at appliances and finding out we have very similar interests in decorating.
Wow. Thank you so much. I’m planning an in town 1st anniversary with my husband and I will definitely be using some of these ideas for the aniversary and future dates!
Awesome! Happy anniversary!
These are great! Thanks!
You are welcome!
Thanks for the ideas! My girlfriend and I have been dating for a few weeks we’re both poor college kids, so this helps us out greatly!!
Awesome! Glad you found us!
That way, there is always a little chance that the two of you could meet up and talk in person. We have already seen the service impress other singles and we are pretty sure you will benefit as well.
So, come here often? You’re blowing up my inbox!