Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Nachos
We had these buffalo chicken nachos for dinner the other day and loved them! Crunchy home-baked chips, spicy buffalo chicken, and lots of cheese! Doesn’t get much better than that!
Another thing I love about these nachos? They’re super easy to make! Only about 15 minutes of prep involved in total. You can also customize these quite easily with your favorite cheeses, buffalo sauce, homemade chips, and more.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Nachos
Start by preheating your oven to 450 degrees and preparing your taste buds!
Step 1. Make Homemade Tortilla Chips (Optional)
You don’t have to make your own homemade tortilla chips for these nachos, but you should definitely consider it! I was surprised by how easy and tasty they are. They totally take the nachos up a notch!
To make your own, just cut up some wheat tortillas, spray on some oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then bake for about 10 minutes. It’s really that easy!
Step 2. Cook and Shred Your Chicken
For these nachos, I usually use one large boneless skinless chicken breast, a little under one pound in weight. This gives a nice chicken to nacho ratio in every bite 🙂
Once you have your chicken, cook it up (you can grill it, use rotisserie, or cook the chicken with any method you desire) and then shred it. I like to use my Kitchenaid mixer to shred chicken super quickly, but you could simply use a fork as well.
Step 3. Mix the Buffalo Sauce and Chicken
For the simple buffalo sauce, whisk together hot sauce, melted butter, brown sugar, and cider vinegar. Or just use a store-bought buffalo sauce!
Next, mix your shredded chicken and buffalo sauce together. Feel free to reserve a couple of tablespoons of sauce for later if you want to drizzle it over the nachos.
Step 4. Start Layering!
Try to get chicken and topping goodness on each chip and in some of the nooks and crannies.
For the cheese, use what you like! I like to use half sharp cheddar and half Monterey Jack, plus some crumbled blue cheese. I recommend going with at least the blue cheese and the sharp cheddar, but you can mix it up however you want!
Step 5. Bake and Enjoy
Your buffalo nachos will only take about 10 minutes to bake, then you can add extra toppings and enjoy! Speaking of toppings…
Topping Ideas for Your Buffalo Chicken Nachos
- I love the addition of chopped avocado as a garnish to help cool things down. Seriously delicious and simple!
- If you want your nachos to be even spicier, top with jalapenos or add pepper jack cheese to the mix.
- Some other garnish ideas include avocado, celery, more green onions, ranch dressing, olives, beans, diced tomatoes, etc.
These buffalo chicken nachos are perfect as an appetizer, dinner, or for a Super Bowl party. You could even have them as a quick lunch!
If you like to dip your nachos, I highly recommend trying this homemade salsa recipe with them. Adds just another burst of flavor to this tasty recipe.
More Finger Food Recipes:
- Simple Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Easy Mexican Bites
- Healthy Asian Lettuce Wraps Recipe
- Creamy Baked Chicken Taquitos Recipe
- Sweet & Spicy Hot Wings
Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Nachos
- 8 wheat tortillas
- 2 to 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce (OR homemade recipe below)
- avocado for garnish (optional)
- 1/3 cup Frank's RedHot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut the tortillas into wedges and spritz with olive oil, then spinkle each evenly with sea salt and pepper. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown. (Or skip this step and use tortilla chips.)
- Meanwhile, whisk together the buffalo sauce ingredients in a medium bowl (or use store-bought buffalo sauce). If desired, reserve a tablespoon or two to drizzle over the nachos at the end. Add the shredded chicken to the bowl and toss to coat with the sauce.
- Place a layer of baked tortilla chips in the bottom of a baking dish, then top with some of the chicken, trying to place pieces of chicken on every chip. Sprinkle on some of the cheddar, Monterey, blue cheese, and green onions. Continue layering until chips and toppings are used up (probably 2 to 3 layers, depending on your baking dish).
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve warm. Top with chopped avocado or additional toppings, if desired. (See blog post for more ideas.)
Recipe Adapted From: How Sweet It Is