Buffalo Chicken Nachos Recipe
Buffalo Chicken Nachos for Game Day!
We had these nachos for dinner the other day and loved them! Crunchy home-baked chips, spicy buffalo chicken, and lots of cheese! I love the addition of chopped avocado as a garnish to help cool things down. Yum.
You don’t have to make your own tortilla chips for these nachos, but you should. I was surprised by how easy and tasty they are! Just cut up some wheat tortillas, spray on some oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then bake for about 10 minutes. I think they seriously take the nachos up a notch. These are also TerraFit friendly!
I used one large boneless, skinless chicken breast, which weighed about 13 ounces. Then I grilled and shredded it. You can use rotisserie or choose to cook you chicken with any method you desire. For the simple buffalo sauce, I whisk together hot sauce, melted butter, brown sugar, and cider vinegar. But you can totally use store-bought buffalo sauce if you want to.
The cheeses are pretty flexible too. I use half sharp cheddar and half Monterey Jack, plus some crumbled blue cheese. I recommend sticking with the blue cheese and the sharp cheddar, at least, but you can mix it up however you want!
Then layer it up! Try to get chicken and topping goodness on each chip and in some of the nooks and crannies. It only takes about 10 minutes to bake, then you can add extra toppings and enjoy!
If you want it spicier, you can top with jalapenos or add pepper jack cheese to the mix. Some other garnish ideas include avocado, celery, more green onions, ranch, olives, beans, diced tomatoes, etc. I really like the chopped avocado on there!
This recipe is slightly adapted from How Sweet It Is.
Would you like to see more of our recipes?
Subscribe to our weekly recipe email.
Buffalo Chicken Nachos Recipe
- 8 wheat tortillas
- 2 to 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces crumbled Blue cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce (OR homemade recipe below)
- avocado for garnish (optional)
- 1/3 cup Frank's RedHot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut the tortillas into wedges and spritz with olive oil, then spinkle each evenly with sea salt and pepper. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown. (Or skip this step and use tortilla chips.)
- Meanwhile, whisk together the buffalo sauce ingredients in a medium bowl (or use store-bought buffalo sauce). If desired, reserve a tablespoon or two to sprinkle over the nachos at the end. Add the shredded chicken to the bowl and toss to coat with the sauce.
- Place a layer of baked tortilla chips in the bottom of a baking dish, then top with some of the chicken, trying to place pieces of chicken on every chip. Sprinkle on some of the cheddar, Monterey, Blue cheese, and green onions. Continue layering until chips and toppings are used up (probably 2 to 3 layers, depending on your baking dish).
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve warm. Top with chopped avocado, if desired.