Buffalo Chicken Nachos Recipe
Buffalo Chicken Nachos for Game Day!
We had these nachos for dinner the other day and loved them! Crunchy home-baked chips, spicy buffalo chicken, and lots of cheese! I love the addition of chopped avocado as a garnish to help cool things down. Seriously delicious! Perfect as an appetizer, dinner, or for a Super Bowl party.
You don’t have to make your own tortilla chips for these nachos, but you should definitely consider it! I was surprised by how easy and tasty they are. Just cut up some wheat tortillas, spray on some oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then bake for about 10 minutes. They totally take the nachos up a notch!
I usually use one large Zaycon boneless skinless chicken breast, a little under one pound in weight. Cook it, then shred it. You can grill it, use rotisserie, or cook the chicken with any method you desire. For the simple buffalo sauce, whisk together hot sauce, melted butter, brown sugar, and cider vinegar. Or just use a store-bought buffalo sauce!
The cheeses are pretty flexible too. I like to use half sharp cheddar and half Monterey Jack, plus some crumbled blue cheese. I recommend going with at least the blue cheese and the sharp cheddar, but you can mix it up however you want!
Then layer it up! Try to get chicken and topping goodness on each chip and in some of the nooks and crannies. It only takes about 10 minutes to bake, then you can add extra toppings and enjoy!
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes?
Subscribe to our weekly recipe email.
If you want it spicier, top with jalapenos or add pepper jack cheese to the mix. Some other garnish ideas include avocado, celery, more green onions, ranch dressing, olives, beans, diced tomatoes, etc. I really love the avocado on there! So good!
Buffalo Chicken Nachos Recipe
- 8 wheat tortillas
- 2 to 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce (OR homemade recipe below)
- avocado for garnish (optional)
- 1/3 cup Frank's RedHot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut the tortillas into wedges and spritz with olive oil, then spinkle each evenly with sea salt and pepper. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown. (Or skip this step and use tortilla chips.)
- Meanwhile, whisk together the buffalo sauce ingredients in a medium bowl (or use store-bought buffalo sauce). If desired, reserve a tablespoon or two to drizzle over the nachos at the end. Add the shredded chicken to the bowl and toss to coat with the sauce.
- Place a layer of baked tortilla chips in the bottom of a baking dish, then top with some of the chicken, trying to place pieces of chicken on every chip. Sprinkle on some of the cheddar, Monterey, blue cheese, and green onions. Continue layering until chips and toppings are used up (probably 2 to 3 layers, depending on your baking dish).
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve warm. Top with chopped avocado or additional toppings, if desired. (See blog post for more ideas.)
Recipe Adapted From: How Sweet It Is