How to Make Chicken Curry in the Air Fryer
Can You Make Curry in the Air Fryer?
While it may not be the most conventional method of making curry, you CAN make curry in the air fryer. This recipe is delicious and fun. If you are looking for a new way to use your air fryer, then you need to try this chicken curry recipe in the air fryer!
Note: If this is your first time using your air fryer, I recommend that you check out this Air Fryer 101 guide and start with trying some of these simple air fryer recipes.
Air Fryer Chicken Curry Ingredients
This recipe is packed with great flavors that really pop. For this recipe, you will need:
- 1/2-1 pound chicken, cubed
- 2 tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (plus a little more)
- 1/3 teaspoon chili powder
- Fresh coriander, for topping
Air Fryer Chicken Curry
The fun thing about this recipe is that we are making all of it in the air fryer. This recipe goes faster if you have two air fryers, but will work if you only have one.
First, you need to make the sauce. Make sure that you place the tomatoes cut side up with the onion in a small pan. I like to use an air fryer cake barrel, but you can use any oven safe dish that fits in your air fryer basket. Then, roast the tomatoes in the air fryer at 320°F/160°C for 25 minutes, or until they are soft and charred.
How Do You Make Curry Sauce in the Air Fryer?
Once the tomatoes and onions are cooked, add in the garlic, ginger, butter, curry powder, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, and chili powder. Cook for an additional 5 minutes in the air fryer.
Next, puree everything with the cream. You can either do this with an immersion blender in the dish, or you can transfer the contents to a food process and return to the dish.
Air Fryer Pro Tip: Cook the Chicken in the Air Fryer
Place the chicken in the air fryer basket and lightly spray with oil and sprinkle with paprika. Cook in the air fryer at 380°F/190°C and cook for 5-8 minutes, or until cooked through.
The chicken will be done once it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F/74°C with an instant read food thermometer.
Air Fryer Pro Tip: Download and print this FREE internal temperature guide to make sure all your foods are completely cooked before consuming!
You can cook the chicken in a second air fryer during the last 10 minutes of the sauce.
Chicken Curry in the Air Fryer
Once the chicken is finished, combine it with the sauce. Warm up the sauce by placing the curry in the air fryer basket and cooking for a final 3-5 minutes.
Enjoy this recipe with rice or naan. This homemade flatbread recipe is one of my favorite go-to recipes when I’m in a pinch for time!
Air fryer chicken curry is such a fun recipe. If you are wanting to be more adventurous with your air fryer, then this is the recipe to make! Let me know in the comments below how this recipe went for you!
More fun air fryer recipes to try
- Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos
- Air Fryer Enchiladas
- Greek Chicken Souvlaki in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Avocado Egg Roll
Not sure how to use an air fryer? I’ve got you!
- Air Fryer Buying Guide
- How to Clean Your Air Fryer
- the Best and Worst Air Fryer Accessories
- Common Air Fryer Mistakes!
Watch me make other delicious air fryer recipes on YouTube!
Air Fryer Chicken Curry
- 1/2-1 pound chicken cubed
- 2 tomatoes sliced in half
- ½ medium onion sliced or diced
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika plus a little more for the chicken
- ⅓ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- fresh coriander for topping
Make the Sauce
- With an air fryer cake barrel or other similar oven-safe dish, place the tomatoes (sliced side up) and onion. Cook at 320°F/160°C for 25 minutes, or until they are soft and charred.
- Once the tomatoes and onions are cooked, add and mix in the garlic, ginger, butter, curry powder, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, and chili powder. Cook for an additional 5 minutes in the air fryer.
- Puree everything with the heavy cream using an immersion blender or food processor. Cover and set aside.
Cook the Chicken
- Place the cubed chicken in the air fryer basket. Lightly spray the chicken with oil and sprinkle with paprika. Cook in the air fryer at 380°F/190°C for 5-8 minutes, or until cooked through. (The chicken will be done once it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F/74°C with an instant read food thermometer).
Combine & Enjoy
- Once the chicken is finished, combine it with the sauce. Warm up the sauce by placing the curry in the air fryer basket and cooking for a final 3-5 minutes.
- Enjoy this recipe with rice and/or naan. Top with the fresh coriander.
Recipe Adapted From: Happy Veggie Kitchen
Comments & Reviews
I have got a new air fryer and so I decided to try making something today. While searching for some air fryer recipes I came across this post by you and could easily make it following your steps. Thank you so much for putting up this article.
Thank you, Supriya! Were you able to try out the recipe? How did it go?
Thank your for sharing your “Chicken Curry” recipe here as I’m about to do our groceries and I’ll pick up some chicken as this sounds wonderful. I’m a newbie and hope I do your recipe justice.
Looking forward to hear how it turns out for you!