Two Sugar-Free Homemade Valentine Ideas!
You can get store-bought Valentines for really cheap, especially with a deal. But I thought it might be fun to do a homemade Valentine this year with my little guys. I have a 2-yr-old and a 4-yr-old, so I don’t know many kids that don’t LOVE a crazy straw or a bouncy ball!
More great DIY Valentine’s Day ideas:
- Valentines Recipes They’ll All Love!
- Valentine’s Crafts
- DIY Valentine’s Ideas for Class Parties – Sugar Free!!
DIY Bouncy Ball Valentine
- bouncy balls
- black or dark blue card stock
- scrap paper for templates
- craft knife
- gel pens or metallic markers
You can find bouncy balls at a lot of different places, including dollar stores. Keep in mind that many candy machines sell bouncy balls individually for $0.25, so you don’t want your price point to be more than that if possible. You can buy 25-27 mm (or 1-inch) bouncy balls in bulk for under $0.10 each, but you have to buy a lot. You could try finding other people to go in on it with you! (The balls would be great for party favors too.)
- Amazon: 250 assorted for $19.12 + Free Super Saver or Prime shipping ($0.08/ball)
- Amazon: 48 glow-in-the-dark for $8.47 + Free Super Saver or Prime shipping ($0.18/ball)
Cut a large heart out of scrap paper. (Don’t forget that you can fold it in half to get the sides to be the same!) You can use that heart as a template for the card stock hearts. You will also want to make a template for the hole. Use a craft knife to cut a circle that’s slightly smaller than the ball. The ball should fit tightly and stay in place.
What I did:
- Cut a large heart out of black or dark blue card stock.
- Cut a circle for the ball.
- Add the stars and planets and a message with a gel pen or metallic marker.
- Insert the ball.
You can have your child write their name on the back or save a place on the front, if desired. Here are some ideas for a message:
- “You’re out of this world, Valentine!”
- “You’re a star!”
- “I’ve searched the galaxy for a friend like you.”
(This Valentine was inspired by FamilyFun Magazine February 2013 Issue)
DIY Loopy Straw Valentine
Walmart sells the loopy straws in the party favor area, 6 for $0.97. You should be able to find them at many stores, including party supply stores and dollar stores. I found the pretzel bags at Walmart – a pack of 20 bags for $1.75. They are about the perfect size for the straws, so you can place a straw in a bag and staple a piece of card stock with a message at the top of the bag. Or go without the bags and do what I did.
What I did:
- Choose a message. Print a message and image on to card stock.
- Cut it out, then use a hole punch to make a hole toward the top and one toward the bottom (even with each other).
- Slide the printed & punched message onto the straw.
I used white card stock for the message. I thought it would be fun for my kids or the recipients to be able to color it. So I found a black & white heart image that looked fun and added some text. You are welcome to use my printable here, if you desire.
You can have you child write their name on the back of the card stock. Possible Messages:
- “Sip-sip Hooray! It’s Valentine’s Day!”
- “You make me loopy!”
- “Sip-a-dee-doo-dah! Sip-a-dee-day! Have a wonderful Valentine’s Day!”
- “I’m crazy for you!”