Taco Foldover Quesadilla
Viral Tik Tok Recipe – Beef Foldover Quesadilla Hack
There’s something about the crisp tortilla and layers of flavors that make these beef taco foldover quesadillas an amazing meal! No wonder it went viral on Tik Tok – super delicious and a fun spin on a taco, wrap, and quesadilla. The whole family loved it!
Taco Foldover Quesadilla Ingredients
I like to use my favorite taco seasoning recipe any time I brown ground beef for tacos. Quadruple (or more) the taco seasoning recipe and store it in an airtight container, like a jar with a lid, then refill as needed. You’ll always have some homemade seasoning on hand and ready to go for recipes like this one!
Another option for the ground beef seasoning is 1/2 teaspoon each of chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika.
You can use a store-bought pico de gallo or make your own. This is my favorite homemade pico de gallo recipe and what you see in the photos. About half of the pico recipe is a good amount for this recipe. Pico de gallo is basically just fresh chopped salsa. (I would not use most store-bought salsas as a substitute because there will be too much liquid.)
You want the cheese to melt well and hold the wrap together, so I recommend skipping pre-shredded store-bought cheese, if possible. Pre-shredded cheese often doesn’t melt as well as block cheese that you shred yourself. I used a queso fresco cheese, but I’m sure any of your favorite cheeses to use on tacos would also work well.
How to Make the Foldover Quesadilla
Fold the tortilla in half, open it back up, then fold in half the other direction, so you can see 4 quadrants with the fold lines. Cut along one of the lines going from the center of the tortilla to the right edge.
Top right quadrant is for sour cream, bottom right – ground beef, bottom left – cheese, top left – pico de gallo. The cut is between the sour cream and ground beef.
How to Fold the Taco Wrap
Take the top right sour cream section and fold it over onto the top left pico de gallo section. The sour cream helps keep the pico in place so it doesn’t spill out everywhere. Then continue by folding that section down onto the bottom left cheese section and again onto the bottom right, until it is a multi-layer triangle.
I know it is tempting to load the tortilla up with all of that taco goodness, but the fillings will spill out anyway when you fold the tortilla if it is too full. Trust me, the flavor will still be there with a single layer of the fillings!
How Long to Cook Taco Foldover Quesadillas in the Air Fryer
If you have time, go ahead and preheat your air fryer. Then air fry the foldover quesadilla at 380°F for 4 to 5 minutes, until golden brown and crisp on the outside. Air fry as many as you can fit in your air fryer at one time without them touching each other. I can fit two taco foldover quesadillas in my air fryer at a time.
Stove Top Instructions
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon cooking oil to the skillet or spray with cooking oil. Place folded quesadillas in the pan and cook for about 3 minutes per side.
Taco Foldover Quesadilla
- ½ pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 4 large burrito size tortillas
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- ½ cup pico de gallo
- Brown ground beef. Season with taco seasoning, stir, then drain and set aside.
- Lay tortilla flat, fold in half, open back up, then fold in half opposite direction, and open up again. The fold marks create a center point and 4 equal quadrants. Cut along one line going from the center of the tortilla to the right edge. Top right quadrant is for the sour cream (spread evenly), bottom right - single layer of ground beef, bottom left - single layer of shredded cheese, top left - single layer of pico de gallo. (The cut is between the sour cream and ground beef.)
- Take the top right sour cream section and fold it over onto the top left pico de gallo section. Then continue by folding that section down onto the bottom left cheese section and again onto the bottom right, until it is a multi-layer triangle.
- Preheat air fryer, if possible. Place folded quesadillas into the air fryer, without touching each other. Air fry at 380°F for 4-5 minutes, until golden brown and crisp on the outside. Serve immediately.
Recipe Adapted From: The Cookie Rookie
Comments & Reviews
We had left over rotisserie chicken so made these with shredded chicken, salsa, sour cream and cheese. Today made ‘Thanksgiving’ ones with chicken, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and mayo. Both were absolutely delicious!!! Looking forward to making them as written with leftover ground beef. Thanks for the great recipe, Kathy!
FAB ideas. I have to try that Thanksgiving one soon. YUM
I’m not a fan of sour cream. Can I use more cheese instead, or would you suggest I skip this recipe?
I would fill that space with more cheese, or salsa, or guacamole, or black beans, or anything that you want! The additions are really up to you and your imagination. Enjoy! It is a FAB recipe.