9 Creative DIY Planter Ideas That Will Inspire You
Planters and flower pots can add just the right amount of beauty and flair to your garden. After spending a lot of money on plants, the last thing you want to do is start shelling out for expensive planters. That’s why I’m excited to share this list of creative DIY planters!
There are so many great DIY planters out there that look just as high end and are the perfect fit for any of your potted plants. From simple to elegant, at least one DIY planter on this list is sure to fit your style and needs. You can even customize them to make them more personal!
To show you how to make your own DIY planter, we’ve gathered some pretty great DIY planter ideas for you to try out and get inspired by! Check them out!
1. Tin Can Fence Flower Garden
This simple tin can flower garden is the perfect way to use leftover cans! You can easily repurpose them into these adorable planters that will create a beautiful hanging flower garden.
- empty industrial-sized food cans (cleaned out, labels removed)
- chalk-style paint (in a variety of rainbow colors)
- regular foam brushes
- circle-shaped foam brushes
- matte varnish sealer
2. Butterfly Planter
If you’re looking for the perfect craft for your kids, have them make these adorable handprint butterfly planters! These are a beautiful and colorful craft for your kids that will make an excellent addition to your garden.
Check out this post for more inspiration for crafting using tin cans.
- Tin Can
- Small Plant
- Paint Brush
- Black Permanent Marker or Black Paint Pen
- Black Pipe Cleaners
- Googly Eyes
- Hot Glue
- White Cardstock
3. Wooden Pallet Garden Grow Box
If you have some old pallets lying around your house, you can transform them into your own backyard garden! They will save you so much time, and your raised garden will be the perfect height!
- 6 wooden pallets (this may vary depending on the size of your grow box)
- 20 wooden stakes
- 3/4 inch wood for filler pieces
- 8 – 2×4’s
- 50 – 1 1/2 inch wood screws
- 50 – 3-inch wood screws
- Black or grey weed control fabric
- Nutri-Mulch – 8 bags.
4. Hanging Wooden Pallet Plant Box
If you’re looking for a simple and easy planter to DIY, you can’t go wrong with this DIY hanging planter! It’s so easy to make and will help hang your plants in style.
See this post for more pallet inspired crafts and projects
- Pack of screws
- Pack of nails
- Small L-shape brackets
- Pallet wood
- Powafix Metal Primer
- Powafix Satinshield White
- Powafix Fence Defence
- 3.2m Chain
- 5 x Screw hooks
- Pot plant
- 100 Grit sand paper
5. Strainer Planter Wind Chime
If you are looking for an easy planter to put together, you’ve got to try this DIY! This planter is also a wind chime and is the perfect accent piece for your garden, deck, or patio.
Check out this post for more ideas to decorate your garden with DIY wind chimes.
- large metal strainer
- 3 similar sets of 4 measuring spoons
- 9 ft dog leash chain (or any other heavy chain)
- single layer key rings (double layer key rings will probably be too stiff)
- black sharpie
- measuring tape
- drill with strong metal drill bit
- Spray paint
- cocoa fiber planter liner
- potting soil
6. DIY Self-Watering Planter
Are you the kind of person who always forgets to water your plants? These containers make watering your plants so easy! Plus, the planter will water itself!
- Small plastic flower pot or container- this will be the wicking container
- Plastic plant flat or any larger piece of plastic that can be used as a barrier between soil and water reservoir. (Your local nursery or hardware store has these and would probably be happy to give you one.)
- 1-inch PVC pipe, cut to height of container
- Potting soil
- Plastic cups or containers for extra support (optional)
7. DIY Concrete Planter Pot–With Wooden Base
If you are looking for a sturdy planter for your outdoor space that can brave the elements, you’ve got to give one of these a try! These concrete planters are easy to make, and they are the perfect accent planter for your patio, deck, or lawn.
- 5000 concrete mix (you can use regular, but I recommend the 5000 kind)
- 2×4 board
- Wood Glue
- Construction Adhesive
- 5 gallon bucket
- 2 gallon bucket
- Spare bucket to mix in (I used another 5 gallon bucket)
- Utility knife
- Miter Saw
- Band Saw or Jig Saw
- Router (optional)
8. Beautiful Moroccan Planters in 10 minutes
These beautiful tile planters can be made in just ten minutes! This stylish planter looks so pretty; everyone will think they’re storebought!
9. $10 DIY Tiered Planter Box
While this tiered planter box will take you about two hours to make, you only need about $10 to make it! This is an excellent project for beginners who are looking for an easy and cheap DIY.
- 2 – 5/8 ” x 5-½” x 6′ Cedar Dog-Ear Fence Picket
- 1 – 2″ x 2″ Furring strip
- Wood glue
- Miter Saw
- Ryobi brad nailer
- 1¼” finish nails
- 1¼” Spax screws
As you can see, making your own planter doesn’t have to be expensive or hard. These DIY planters would make a great gift idea for any plant lover or a fun DIY for your own home. Try them out and find the perfect planter for your houseplants.
Check out these other great tips for gardening
Trending DIY Projects
Report a Problem
Please select the problem you are facing with this deal:
- Price Increased
- Price Decreased
- No longer available
- Link doesn't work
Add more details:
Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate it.
Enter your email address if you would like
to receive a follow up.
Please Try Again