Here are a few tips to make your Walmart shopping trip successfull!
- Price Match: Price matching alone can save you a lot of money, time and gas, and you don’t even need any coupons! (Produce is my favorite thing to price match.)
For those of you who are new to price matching, it means you can get an item at Walmart for the same price as a current competitor stores printed advertised price for that identical item.
If you are price matching, make sure to have the current ad, with the date on it, ready to hand to the cashier BEFORE they ring up the item you are price matching.
I like to place the items I am price matching (especially if I’m using multiple ads) on the belt last and lay the ad on top of them so I don’t forget to tell the cashier! Have your Price Matching Policy handy just in case!
- Walmart’s new policy allows for overage: You can use it to pay for items you normally buy, but don’t have coupons for.
The Walmart coupon policy states:
“If a coupon value exceeds the price of the item, the excess may be given to the customer as cash or applied toward the basket purchase.”
So, if you use a $3.00/1 coupon on a $2.00 item, that item will be free, plus tax. The $1 difference is considered overage and will go towards the rest of the items you are purchasing in that transaction (like milk, produce or whatever!) If you are only buying that one item and nothing else, they should give you the $1 difference back in cash. Basically, you are entitled to the entire face value of the coupon, whether the item costs more or less than the coupon.
- Be aware the time of day you are going shopping: I like to go in the morning when it’s less busy and the shelves are stocked!
- If possible, avoid taking the kids: I often get distracted or forget to show the cashier my ad!
- Do your homework ahead of time: Search FabulesslyFrugal for the latest deals and match-ups :) Have your lists, coupons and ads ready to go! You can even learn how to print a shopping list of our Walmart coupon match ups!
- Ask a manager: If you are in doubt about a certain coupon, ask a manager about it BEFORE you start your shopping to avoid any problems at the register.
- Check your coupons: Make sure all of the coupons you will be using are legible, have an expiration date, a valid remit address for the manufacturer, a scannable bar code and are NOT photocopied or duplicated! I’ve accidentally cut off part of an expiration date before and they would not accept the coupon. Don’t forget to look for the coupons with out size restrictions and check Walmart’s trial size section for any that match!
- Be selective of your cashier: Try to stick with the one’s you know are coupon friendly or especially knowledgeable about coupons and the policies.
- Make sure to have your: coupon/price matching policy handy! Please remember to always be polite to your cashiers/managers And Give couponers a good name!
If you need to contact the Walmart Corporate Office:
Call Walmart Customer Service — 1-800-WALMART (1-800-925-6278)
Or, Email your feedback to your local Walmart store or Corporate office.
Enjoy your savings!