The Next Best Thing To Robert Redford
Robert Redford Dessert Recipe
Jessica’s husband’s family introduced her to The Next Best Thing To Robert Redford. After that, no holiday was complete without it. She was forever grateful… 😉 In 2012 Jessica introduced this recipe to the readers of Fabulessly Frugal and we found out that this amazing recipe has been known by many other names!
Some of those names include The Next Best Thing to (insert any actor/actresses name here), Better than Sex Dessert, Almost Better than Sex Dessert, Better than Anything Dessert and Chocolate Pie Squares. Some readers use a lemon pudding instead of vanilla and call it Aileen Torte or Lemon Lush.
My parents used to make this dessert all the time when we were growing up and they called it 4 Layer Dessert. We called it For Later Dessert because they always seemed to wait forever to let us have some.
You can not beat the mixed flavors of cream cheese and chocolate. I am bringing sexy back (insert Justin Timberlake song) today because I think this is an awesome dessert to help you get over those end of holiday blues. Plus it would be a great dessert for a Labor Day weekend BBQ! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Preparing the Crust:
Mix flour, softened butter, and pecans until crumbly (I recommend the medium-high setting on a mixer, the crust is thick) and press into a greased 13 x 9 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden. Let cool.
Tip: The crust mix is very sticky! Spray your spatula with cooking spray to keep it from sticking as you spread it in the baking dish. ALSO, the crust will take about 45 minutes to cool, use that time to make your other layers.
Adding the Cream Cheese Layer:
Beat cream cheese sugar and a half carton of cool whip. This is another thick mixture so I recommend using the medium-high setting on your mixture. Once finished, spread over cooled crust.
Adding the Pudding Layer:
For a cute added touch (see pic below), reserve 1 teaspoon of the chocolate pudding mix. Then combine the vanilla and chocolate pudding with 3 cups cold milk. Blend it until smooth and thickened. If it needs a little thickening, you can cover it and put it in the fridge while the crust is cooling. When you’re ready, spread the pudding mixture over cream cheese layer.
Adding the Final Layer:
Spread remaining cool whip over the top. You can stop right there, but for added sexy, add the optional garnishes!
Get the chocolate pudding mix and sprinkle that on top (I used this handy mesh stainless steel strainer to sift it on top). Use a veggie peeler to make the chocolate curls to add to the top.
EASY AND DONE!
I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe (I don’t know how you couldn’t!). The crust is really the star of this recipe, it adds a nice texture and nutty flavor that goes so well with the other layers.
If you try this recipe yourself, be sure to come back and let us know how it went! We love to hear your stories and experiences.
Check out these cute food processors:
The Next Best Thing To Robert Redford
- 9x13-inch pan
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup butter or margarine softened
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 1 package 3.4 ounce vanilla instant pudding
- 1 package 3.9 ounce chocolate instant pudding, with 1 teaspoon reserved for garnish
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 chocolate bar grated (optional, but makes it look pretty!)
- Mix flour, butter, and pecans until crumbly and use a spatula sprayed with cooking spray to press into a greased 9x13 baking pan (see notes).
- Bake at 350°F/175°C for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden. Set aside to cool (about 45 minutes).
- In the meantime, beat cream cheese, sugar, and half container of cool whip until smooth.
- Spread over cooled crust.
- Reserve 1 teaspoon of chocolate pudding mix to sprinkle over the top of finished dessert.
- Combine both the vanilla and chocolate pudding powders with 3 cups cold milk. Blend until smooth and thickened. Spread over cream cheese layer.
- Spread remaining cool whip over the top and sprinkle with reserved chocolate pudding mix and the grated chocolate bar.