Sugared Corn Pops Recipe
A favorite holiday treat!
I had never heard of these corn pops until my neighbor, Jessica, shared this treat with me. It is a recipe that her family makes every holiday season. Now it is something I look forward to every year and I’m planning to make it a traditional holiday treat for my family too – either for Christmas or New Year’s Eve…maybe both. 😉
These are not the Corn Pops you see in the cereal section! You can find these corn pops at most Associated Foods grocery stores, especially during the holiday season, in the same aisle as the chips. These are perfect in this recipe because there are no hard kernels, like with popcorn, and there is already some buttery flavoring on them that goes well with the sugary candy coating.
Speaking of the candy coating, this is how it starts – butter, sugar, corn syrup, and water in a saucepan on the stove. Stir it all together over medium heat and make sure the butter melts before the mixture starts to boil.
This is about when the mixture first starts to bubble and boil. Start the 4-minute timer right when the bubbles start!
Boil for 4 minutes, stirring the entire time. The syrup does thicken a bit, but you don’t want to cook it for too long or the mixture will be too thick and become too hard later on. Right when the cooking time is done, remove it from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Then quickly pour it over the corn pops. You want to coat the corn pops before the syrup hardens.
After stirring for a few minutes, they are ready to be spread out on a pan and baked. This just helps to set the candy coating a bit more and should only take about 10 minutes. Yum! I wish I had some in my oven right now!
I’ll warn you up front, these babies are addicting. I can eat a whole batch easily by myself. You might just want to double the batch right from the get-go. The recipe does double well. 😉
Thank you for sharing your family recipe with us, Jessica!
(After searching on the internet a bit, I see that there other variations of this recipe out there. I haven’t tried any of the others, but I know I like this one!)
Would you like to see more of our recipes?
Subscribe to our weekly recipe email.
Sugared Corn Pops Recipe
- 3 quarts corn pops
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 200°/95°C. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or use a silicone baking mat. Measure out the corn pops and place them in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat sugar, butter, corn syrup and water over medium heat until it begins to bubble, stirring regularly. Then boil for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the syrup mixture over the corn pops and stir gently for a few minutes to coat. Transfer corn pops to the prepared baking sheet and spread them out evenly. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool, then break apart the pieces and serve.