Meatball Mummies Recipe
Meatball Mummies Halloween Dinner Idea!
These meatball mummies are a fun and easy meal to serve on Halloween. Some Halloween food is gross-looking (i.e. meatloaf zombie or puff pastry intestines), and that can be fun, but it can also be a little too unappetizing for some. Meatball mummies are not gross, but still fun for Halloween! 😉
Meatball mummies are especially easy when you just use strips of refrigerated Pillsbury pizza dough. Wrap the dough around meatballs (or hot dogs) and bake them up!
I like to use frozen meatballs (thawed in the microwave) for the sake of time and convenience, but here are some great meatball recipes if you want to make your own:
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Porcupine Meatballs
- Barbecue Bacon Meatballs
- Teriyaki Meatballs
- Turkey-Quinoa Fajita Meatballs
- Freezer Meal Meatballs
Use something long and skinny to keep the meatballs together in sets of three while you wrap them up. Raw spaghetti inserted through the center of the meatballs works well – just remove the pasta before baking. I use 6-inch bamboo skewers and leave them in the whole time because I think it makes them even more fun to eat!
Remove the pizza dough from the can, but don’t unroll it yet. First, slice it into 14 even sections, about 1/4- to 1/2-inch wide. Then simply unroll the dough in strips and wrap it around the meatballs. Use two sections of dough to wrap each set of three meatballs.
Get them all mummified, but leave a small open area where you want the eyes to go.
Slices of string cheese work great for the eyes! Then make a pupil with small pieces of an olive or some other dark-colored edible food item, or a dab of barbecue sauce. Or use a drinking straw to cut out the pupils of the eyes.
Brush with melted butter after baking, then serve with a dipping sauce, like ketchup or BBQ sauce, and enjoy!
Note that the nutrition info will vary depending on the type of meatballs and dough that you use.
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes?
Subscribe to our recipe email.
See more of our favorite Halloween food and ideas!
Meatball Mummies Recipe
- 1 Pillsbury refrigerated pizza crust dough
- 21 cooked meatballs
- 7 six-inch skewers (or raw spaghetti)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- dipping sauce
- 14 small circles of white cheese (mozzarella string cheese works well)
- 14 smaller dark circles of olives or sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Thread 3 meatballs onto each skewer (or spaghetti). This holds the meatballs in place.
- Cut the pizza dough into 14 even sections, in order to make 14 strips that are about 1/4- to 1/2-inch wide.
- Wrap the dough strips around each set of meatballs (2 strips of dough for each set of 3 meatballs), stretching and criss-crossing until the meatballs are covered, but leaving a small open space for the eyes. Leave the skewers in place or gently remove them (remove if using spaghetti). Place the meatball mummies on the prepared pan.
- Bake 19-23 minutes, or until browned. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter.
- Add cheese circles as edible eyes. Add smaller dark circles onto the cheese as pupils or cut a smaller circle out of the cheese with a straw to make the pupils.
- Serve with dipping sauce: pasta sauce, BBQ sauce, ketchup, etc.
Recipe Adapted From: Spend with Pennies