Meatball Mummies Recipe
Meatball Mummies Halloween Food!
These meatball mummies are a fun and easy meal to serve for Halloween. Another plus is that they aren’t one of those gross-looking, unappetizing Halloween foods. I don’t like to eat things that gross me out when I look at them!
This recipe is proof that it doesn’t take much to do something fun for Halloween dinner. Mummies are especially easy when you just use strips of a refrigerated Pillsbury dough. Wrap the dough around hot dogs or meatballs and bake them up!
I like to use frozen meatballs (thawed) for the sake of convenience, but here are some great meatball recipes that you can use if you want to make your own:
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Porcupine Meatballs
- Barbecue Bacon Meatballs
- Teriyaki Meatballs
- Chipotle Meatballs
- Turkey-Quinoa Fajita Meatballs
- Freezer Meal Meatballs
Use something long and skinny to keep the meatballs together in sets of three while you wrap them up. Raw spaghetti strands inserted through the center of the meatballs work well, just remove them before baking. I use bamboo skewers and just leave them in the whole time because I think it makes them even more fun to eat.
Before I unroll the dough from the can, I slice it into the 1/4-inch sections. Then simply unroll the strips and start wrapping up the meatballs.
Get them all mummified, but leave a small opening where you want the eyes to go.
It is easy to slice up some string cheese for the eyeballs. Then make a pupil with small pieces of an olive or some other dark-colored edible food item. Sometimes it is easy to use a dab of barbecue sauce for the pupils too.
Brush with melted butter after baking, serve with a dipping sauce, and enjoy!
This recipe is slightly adapted from Spend with Pennies.
4.9 out of 5 stars with over 30 customer reviews!
Meatball Mummies Recipe
- 1 Pillsbury refrigerated pizza crust dough
- 18 cooked meatballs
- 6 skewers (or raw spaghetti strands)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- dipping sauce
- small circles white cheese (mozzarella string cheese works well)
- small dark circles of olives or zucchini, or BBQ sauce
- (You can use different sizes of straws to cut out the circles.)
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Cut the pizza dough into thin strips, about 1/4-inch wide.Thread 3 meatballs onto each skewer (or spaghetti strand, if using). This holds the meatballs in place. Wrap the dough strips around the meatballs, stretching and criss-crossing until the meatballs are covered, but leaving a small open space for the eyes. Leave the skewers in place or gently remove them (remove if using spaghetti strands). Place the meatball mummies on the prepared pan.
- Bake 19-23 minutes, or until browned. Remove from oven, brush with melted butter and add edible eyeballs. Serve with dipping sauce: pasta sauce, BBQ sauce, etc.