The Easiest Meatball Mummies Recipe (Oven and Air Fryer Instructions)
Meatball Mummies Halloween Dinner Idea!
These meatball mummies are a fun and easy meal to serve on Halloween. Some Halloween food is gross-looking (i.e. meatloaf zombie or puff pastry intestines), and that can be fun, but it can also be a little too unappetizing for some. Meatball mummies are not gross, but still fun and adorable for Halloween!
Keep reading to learn how to make mummy meatballs in the air fryer or oven for a fun Halloween dinner or snack!
What do I need to make meatball mummies?
Mummy meatballs are especially easy when you just use strips of refrigerated Pillsbury pizza dough. I’ve also done it with Pillsbury Crescent Roll Dough. Wrap the dough around meatballs (or hot dogs) and bake them up!
To make meatball mummies, you need:
- Pillsbury refrigerated pizza crust dough or crescent roll dough
- Cooked meatballs or hot dogs
- Six-inch skewers (or raw spaghetti)
- Melted butter
- Dipping sauce like marinara sauce or ketchup
- Mozzarella string cheese (to make the eye balls)
I like to use thawed frozen cooked meatballs (thawed in the microwave or warmed up in the air fryer) for the sake of time and convenience, but here are some great meatball recipes if you want to make your own:
What can I use instead of skewers?
Use something long and skinny to keep the meatballs together in sets of three while you wrap them up. Raw spaghetti inserted through the center of the meatballs works well – just remove the pasta before baking. I use 6-inch bamboo skewers and leave them in the whole time because I think it makes them even more fun to eat!
How do I make meatball mummies?
Meatball mummies come together in two simple steps.
Step 1. Prepare the dough
Remove the dough from the can, but don’t unroll it yet. First, slice it into 14 even sections, about 1/4- to 1/2-inch wide. Then simply unroll the dough in strips and wrap it around the meatballs. Use two sections of dough to wrap each set of three meatballs.
Alternatively, you can unroll the dough and cut it into long strips to wrap around the meatballs.
Step 2. Make the Mummies
Get them all mummified by wrapping the dough around the meatballs like mummy wrapping, but leave a small open area where you want the eyes to go.
How long do I cook meatball mummies?
Bake the meatball mummies in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 193 degrees Celsius for 19-23 minutes, or until browned. Remove them from the oven and brush with melted butter. Add the eyes then serve with a dipping sauce, like ketchup or BBQ sauce, and enjoy!
How do I make mummy eyes for meatballs?
Slices of string cheese work great for the eyes! Just take string cheese and cut them into little slices, no more than 1/4 inch thick.
Then make a pupil with small pieces of an olive or some other dark-colored edible food item, or a dab of barbecue sauce. Or use a drinking straw to cut out the pupils of the eyes.
Air Fryer Instructions
This mummy meatball recipe is just as great in the air fryer! Prepare the meatball mummies like you would for the oven. Although, rather than thawing the meatballs in the microwave, I cooked them for 6-8 minutes at 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C in the air fryer first.
Once the meatballs are mummified, cook them in the air fryer for an additional 8 minutes at 350°F/175°C.
Meatball mummies are a delicious, adorable, and simple dinner or snack that you can enjoy during the Halloween season. I made this recipe with a couple of kids and we had so much fun making it together. This recipe is a hit!
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes?
Subscribe to our recipe email.
See more of our favorite Halloween food and ideas!
Meatball Mummies Recipe
- 1 Pillsbury refrigerated pizza crust dough
- 21 cooked meatballs
- 7 six-inch skewers or raw spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- dipping sauce
- 14 small circles of white cheese mozzarella string cheese works well
- 14 smaller dark circles of olives or sauce optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- If your meatballs are frozen, thaw them in the microwave for a couple of minutes. They don't have to be hot, just warm enough that you can thread the skewer through easily.
- Thread 3 meatballs onto each skewer (or spaghetti). This holds the meatballs in place.
- Cut the pizza dough into 14 even sections, in order to make 14 strips that are about 1/4- to 1/2-inch wide. Or, unroll the dough and cut it into strips with a pizza cutter for wrapping.
- Wrap the dough strips around each set of meatballs (2 strips of dough for each set of 3 meatballs), stretching and criss-crossing until the meatballs are covered, but leaving a small open space for the eyes. Leave the skewers in place or gently remove them (remove if using spaghetti). Place the meatball mummies on the prepared pan.
- Bake 19-23 minutes, or until browned. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter.
- Add cheese circles as edible eyes. Add smaller dark circles onto the cheese as pupils or cut a smaller circle out of the cheese with a straw to make the pupils.
- Serve with dipping sauce: pasta sauce, BBQ sauce, ketchup, etc.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Prepare the meatball mummies like you would for the oven. Although, rather than thawing the meatballs in the microwave, I cooked them for 6-8 minutes at 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C in the air fryer first.
- Once the meatballs are mummified, cook them in the air fryer for an additional 8 minutes at 350°F/175°C.
- Remove and enjoy!
Recipe Adapted From: Spend with Pennies
Comments & Reviews
How many Hot Dogs will this recipe take?
7 Hot Dogs?
[…] The Easiest Meatball Mummies Recipe (Oven and Air Fryer Instructions) […]