10 Easy DIY Bookmarks for Kids and Adults
Handmade Bookmark Ideas Anyone Can Make!
If you haven’t been swept up by the e-reader craze yet and you’re still reading physical books, you probably need a bookmark to mark your spot when you’re finished reading! It’s always frustrating trying to find your way back without a bookmark.
Now sure, you could pick up a bookmark (or even a pack of bookmarks) at the store, but not only would that cost you money, but the bookmarks you buy probably wouldn’t be that cool anyway.
Reading is a personal thing, so I think your bookmark should be personalized as well! And, there’s no better way to personalize something than to craft it yourself!
Check out these DIY bookmarks and handmade bookmark ideas so you can start reading in style. Below, there are even some DIY bookmark ideas for kids that are easier to craft.
1. DIY Beaded Bookmarks
These beaded bookmarks are great DIY bookmarks for kids to make. Not only are they easy, but they’re super customizable too! You can pick up all sorts of different large beads (such as the nautical-themed one in the photo above) and personalize your bookmark to your heart’s desire.
- Beading Cord (make sure the one you get is nice and thin so the beads fit over it)
- Assorted Large beads of your choice
- Small beads or crimping beads
2. DIY Animal Origami Bookmarks
Not only are these DIY bookmarks adorable, but they’re also super easy to make as you just need a printer and some folding skills! Simply download the printable template for your favorite origami animal, follow the folding instructions, and your bookmark is ready to go!
Once you’ve made your bookmark, it simply folds over the corner of the page to mark your spot. Genius!
- Printable template
3. Tassel Bookmark
If you want to add some fun and color to your reading, making one of these DIY tassel bookmarks is the way to do it! This craft is really easy to make and you can customize it as well so have some fun with it!
- Hole Punch
- Markers, Stickers, Paint Sticks, anything to color with
- Embroidery thread or yarn for the tassel
4. Braided Bookmarks
These braided bookmarks are very elegant looking, super customizable, and they’re also really functional! The idea is that you wrap your braided bookmark around the book you’re reading so you never lose it. I love it! It’s so clever.
- Embroidery floss
- A button, beads, trinkets, etc. (anything you want to attach to your bookmark)
5. Budding Leaf Bookmark
This DIY crochet bookmark is so cute! I love how it pokes out of the top of the book and it really represents how reading can make you grow as a person. Love it!
- 1 ball of Lily Sugar n’ Cream Original (photos shown: Hot Green)
- US 7/4.5mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
- Stitch marker (optional)
- Bead (optional)
6. Monster Bookmarks
Simple and adorable, these monster DIY bookmarks are perfect for kids. They can customize their bookmarks to make their favorite monsters and who wouldn’t want to read with a little monster buddy?
- Large Pom Poms
- Large Popsicle Sticks
- Googly Eyes
- Pipe Cleaners
- Craft Paint
- Hot Glue Gun or Craft Glue
7. Crochet Character Bookmarks
This crochet mouse bookmark is just hilarious. I love how it has the look that it just got squished in a book and the tail hangs out of the book as well. I bet kids would love this one.
- Yarn colors: Brown, white, black, pink
- 2.5 mm metric Crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
- Scissors and polyfill
8. Leather Bookmarks
I don’t think I’ve ever had (or heard) of leather bookmarks before, but I now know that I’ve been missing out! These leather bookmarks look great, they’re easily customizable, and they can be given as homemade gifts as well.
- Leather (each bookmark is 1.5” x 6-7”)
- Dark wax
- Clean cloth you don’t mind ruining or a staining rag
- Stickers and/or adhesive shelf liner aka contact paper
- Paint pen
- Leather cording
- Rotary tool, cutting mat and clear acrylic ruler
9. Letter Bookmark
Here are more DIY bookmarks made with popsicle sticks which means they’re nice and easy for kids to create! They’re also perfect for back to school as they’re super unique and personalized!
- Yarn – choose any color/size or shape. We like these packs since they come in different colors and are small.
- Small Wooden Letters – we got ours from the Dollar store, so check there. But if you’d like to buy from Amazon, these ones look to be the best quality we could find.
- Hot glue (adults only)
- Clear Tacky glue
- Jumbo craft sticks
- Optional acrylic paint if you do not get colored craft sticks
- Embellishments – we used small paper flowers
- Other decoration options include glitter foam paper and confetti glitter
10. Magnetic Bookmarks
If you’re someone who is constantly losing your bookmark and your place in your book, these magnetic handmade bookmarks are perfect for you. They stick to your page so they never fall out!
- Scrapbook paper
- Stickers (optional)
- Magnet strip
- Business card magnets (optional)
- Paper cutter
- Bone folder
Other Things You Can Use as a Bookmark
If you’re not one to fold down the corner of a page but you need a quick solution to mark your spot in a book, here are some suggestions and things I’ve used before:
- Scrap pieces of paper
Have any other weird or interesting ways that you mark your spot in a book? Let us know in the comments! You really should get to work on one of the stylish DIY bookmarks above though… they’re worth it.
I hope you enjoyed all of these handmake bookmark ideas! There are of course many other ways to make homemade bookmarks but these are the ones that really stood out to me as unique and crafty.
If you have any of your own DIY bookmark ideas, I’d love to hear about them! Let me know in the comments below. Also, enjoy your reading!
Trending DIY Projects
Report a Problem
Please select the problem you are facing with this deal:
- Price Increased
- Price Decreased
- No longer available
- Link doesn't work
Add more details:
Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate it.
Enter your email address if you would like
to receive a follow up.
Please Try Again