Chocolate Caramel Cookies
Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies
These chocolate cookies are really easy to make. You just need a brownie mix, flour, water oil and eggs. The caramel is really easy to make too because it is a simple microwave recipe. I put these chocolate caramel cookies together with a Valentine’s day twist. But they can be made anytime if you simply put a dollop of caramel on top instead of forming a heart. You can see all of the Valentine’s Day recipes we are whipping up this month here!
You do not need to make the cookie balls very big. In fact they are small enough that you can get 24 cookie on one cookie sheet. I like to roll them into nice round balls so you get a consistent cookie shape and texture. I love using my silicone baking mat because it gives them a nice even bake. I just checked and my favorite 2 pack is on sale right now, the price is down from the last time I checked.
I did both a spoon free hand technique for the caramel hearts and a piping technique with a plastic bag that I cut a hole in. You could also use a pastry bag like this one. This 8 piece is currently only $6.97!
Remember the hearts do not have to be perfect. The chocolate caramel cookies are delicious and your loved ones will eat them with or without perfect hearts. In fact you do not have to put caramel hearts on the cookies. I just added the hearts this time to make the chocolate caramel cookies more fun for a Valentine’s day treat.
Here is a picture of when my friend Stephanie made the chocolate caramel cookies with just a drop of caramel instead. She used a devils food cake mix instead of a brownie mix with this version. But I have found that I like the brownie mix cookie better.
I hope you love the cookies as much as my family and I did!
As Valentine’s Day approaches, you can decorate the house or send a little love with one of these fun Valentine’s Day Crafts! Also get ready for the class parties with these DIY Non-Candy Alternative Valentine’s ideas!
Chocolate Caramel Cookies
- 1 Brownie Mix package
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Caramel Recipe
- Kosher Salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients.
- 3. Form balls with the dough and place them on baking sheet as pictured. I like to use a silicone baking sheet so that my cookies bake more evenly.
- 4. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes.
- 5. While cookie bake make the Caramel Recipe.
- 6. Allow cookies to cool. You want to add the caramel to the top while the caramel is still warm and runny. I did some of my hearts free hand with a spoon. I poured a pile on one side of the cookie for one side of the heart and brought it down to a point and them poured the other side. If you allow your caramel to cool further you can pipe it through a pastry bag or a plastic bag. I just cut a hole in a plastic bag to do some of mine. If your caramel gets too set up and hard to work with try microwaving for another 30 second to 1 minute.
- 7. Sprinkle a little pinch of kosher salt on the caramel before it sets up.