Milk Can Stew
This milk can stew is an excellent campfire cooking recipe for a crowd. But it can certainly be scaled down for smaller groups as well. I got this recipe from my friend Ryan. Ryan is the guy that everyone thinks of when a good camping meal is needed. To make this recipe you will need a campchef. You do not have to have a milk can, you could also cook it in a large stockpot. This recipe serves 35 people.
You will need:
2 heads of cabbage quartered
7 large yellow onions quartered
6 lbs whole carrots cut in thirds
12 lbs red potatoes 2 inch pieces
18 cobs corn cut in half
7 packages kielbasa sausages or ham or brats 2-3 inch length
Large stock pot or milk can
2 gallons of water add cabbage then potatoes then carrots onions corn and sausage.
campchef to cook on
Prepare your vegetables by cutting cabbage into quarters, onions into quarters, whole carrots into thirds (don’t substitute for baby carrots), and corn in half.
Cut sausage 2-3 inches in length and red potatoes into 2 inch pieces as pictured above.
Cook all ingredients in a milk can or large stock pot and be sure to add them in the order listed. Water, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, onions, corn and sausage last.
You bring the ingredients to a boil and boil them for 30 minutes with the lid venting. Be sure to dump off some water before pouring into serving dishes. If you keep some of the ingredients in the water for a while they will stay warm longer. Campers can then select the food items that they like best to put on their plate and eat. The recipe does not call for seasoning because the vegetable tend to get plenty of flavor from the meat on top while they are cooking together. I hope you enjoy this fabulous camping meal!
Don’t forget your campchef!
Milk Can Stew
- 2 heads of cabbage quartered
- 7 large yellow onions quartered
- 6 lbs whole carrots cut in thirds
- 12 lbs red potatoes 2 inch pieces
- 18 cobs corn cut in half
- 7 packages kielbasa sausages or ham or brats 2-3 inch length
- 2 gallons water
- In a milk can or large stock pot put 2 gallons of water.
- In the following order add cabbage then potatoes, carrots, onions, corn and sausage last.
- On a camp chef bring pot or can it to boil.
- Once it boils... Boil for 30 minutes.
- Covered with a lid, but allowed to vent.
- When finished drain some water off and then dump contents into a serving dish and serve.