DIY Nursing Tank With Snaps (Picture Tutorial)
Nursing is a big job! Being comfortable AND modest can also feel like a big job too, especially in public.
With my first baby, I stayed home most of the time in fear of having to nurse in front of other people. It took me a little while (okay a long while) to get the hang of lifting the shirt, undoing the bra, getting baby situated, redoing the bra and then getting my shirt back in place… all while staying covered up to prevent any awkward moments. I remember being envious of the pros, those moms who made it look so easy!
I was talking to Jessica the other day and she mentioned DIY nursing tank tops. What?! This is not something I had ever heard of when my babies were small (6 years ago). So I wanted to know more because I felt like it might be a game changer for many of you!
I learned that you can simply alter a CHEAP tank top or camisole into a nursing tank. You layer the tank underneath your top shirt and you have instant tummy coverage when you go to nurse. I would still recommend you use a nursing cover in public, but the additional tummy coverage will make you feel a lot better and more confident to nurse anytime, anywhere. This will make life a lot easier and even a lot more fun!
Pin this for later!!! ^^^^
Jessica made several of these, both for herself and as gifts for mamas to be. In that process, she discovered a few tips!
- When buying your tanks, get a size that isn’t too tight, but fits you snugly. This looks better under your clothes and prevents the back of the tank from sliding down.
- Pick tanks that are thin and comfortable so you don’t get too hot wearing multiple layers during the warmer months.
- Choose tanks that are longer and show at the bottom of your shirt, or that can be tucked in without exposing your midsection.
- Pick solid versatile colors like white, black and grey so you can mix and match them with different outfits.
- Check your closet to see what you already have, or purchase a multi-pack of basic tank tops like this one on Amazon!
How to Make Your DIY Nursing Tank Tops
Start to finish, this project only takes about 10 minutes!
Supplies you’ll need:
- Tank/cami tops (preferably with thin straps and no built-in bra)
- Fabric (or sharp) Scissors
- Needle and thread
- Ruler (optional)
Step-by-step instructions (with pictures):
1. Lay the tank on a flat surface with the front side down:
2. Using your scissors, cut both of the straps as close to the back of the tank as you can without cutting the tank itself.
3. Flip the tank over:
4. Cut the straps completely off leaving about 2 to 2 1/2 inches.
5. Fold the remaining strap over towards the inside of the tank to make a loop. (You may want to test the loop size on your bra straps to make sure they’re going to fit before you sew them down.)
6. Grab a needle and matching thread.
7. Tie a knot at the end of your thread and hand sew the bottom of the loop down until it’s secure. This only takes about 5 minutes and it doesn’t have to be pretty, no one is going to see it. 🙂
Repeat the same steps on the other side and you’re DONE! Piece of cake!
How to use your new DIY nursing tank with snaps:
To wear the altered tank, you put it on over your nursing bra, undo the snap on the strap, place the loop over the bottom half and snap it back together!
Simply undo the snap, pull the bra/tank down together and do your thing! Jessica took a quick model pic for you so you can see how awesome the coverage is!
It’s great because you can lift up your tops shirt to nurse but your belly stays covered the whole time!
I just love how these are an inexpensive solution that allows you to continue wearing the clothes you already own instead of having to go out an buy expensive specialty nursing items. I hope you like them as much as I do!
More Helpful Posts for Moms:
Trending DIY Projects