Alternative Uses for Baby Powder
17 Awesome Frugal Ways To Use Baby Powder For Random Household Jobs
Baby powder is a common household item that can be found in almost ANY mother’s home. Recently, studies have been advising you NOT to use it on your baby like my mother did with me (but, that is a personal preference) SO I decided to find new ways to use baby powder. You can find baby powder for such a decent price, so why not use it to replace products that otherwise cost so much!
Here me out! I have found 17 ways that baby powder can replace other single use products. No need in buying 17 different products when you can by ONE that will do the exact same job.
Who’s Ready To Find Out the 17 Ways?
Here we go!
1. Sprinkle some baby powder over sand-covered kids (and adults) to soak up excess moisture and make the sand incredibly easy to brush off. You will be AMAZED at how easy the sand comes off. I hate finding sand all over my house after a trip to the beach and baby powder has become such a lifesaver.
2. Cool things down by sprinkling a bit of baby powder between your favorite sheets on warm summer nights. I was super hesitant about this one but honestly, it works! Your sheets feel extra refreshing when you get in on late summer nights!
3. Vigorously rub a handful or two of baby powder into your pet’s fur. Let it settle in for a couple of minutes, and follow up with a thorough brushing. Your dog will both look and smell great! My pets are constantly running around and into mischief and this helped us so much! Your dog will think you are just giving her a good pet down and will not even think twice about it! This is way easier than trying to bathe them!
4. Use it as dry shampoo for your hair. Just sprinkle some powder on your palms or fingers and rub it into your scalp to absorb the oil. I love this! Dry shampoo can be so expensive but this is the perfect way to keep your hair looking fresh, without having to wash it daily! Once you rub it in, there is no trace of powder! It is like magic.
5. Dust a small amount of powder onto your eyelashes before applying mascara to make them look fuller. It is best when used with a q-tip or an unused mascara brush, rather than your fingers. What I do is just apply one coat of mascara, apply powder (try to get most of it at the ends of your lashes), and then apply another coat of mascara to cover up the white. You’ll be amazed at how your lashes look.
6. If you get a grease splatter on your clothing, try dabbing the stain with some baby powder on a powder puff. Make sure you rub it in well, and then brush off any excess powder. Repeat until the mark is gone.
7. Loosely place playing cards in a plastic bag along with a bit of baby powder. Seal the bag and give it a few good shakes. When you remove your cards, they should feel fresh and smooth to the touch. This is a huge lifesaver when we get new playing cards and are about to have family game night. There is no time for them sticking together!
8. For moldy or mildewed books, try this: First, let them thoroughly air-dry. Then, sprinkle some baby powder between the pages and stand the books upright for several hours. Afterward, gently brush out the remaining powder from each book. This will leave them smelling super fresh!
9. Place 5-6 flower bulbs and about 3 tablespoons baby powder in a sealed plastic bag and give it a few gentle shakes. The medicated-powder coating helps both reduce the chance of rot and keep away moles, voles, grubs, and other bulb-munching pests. This will help keep your flower bulbs alive and fresh for even longer!
10. Sprinkle a little powder along an ant trail or around your picnic blanket to get rid of ants. We all know how ants love to be uninvited guests to our summer picnics, but with this simple trick, you can shew all of these ants out of your way.
11. Going for a summer run? Sprinkle powder wherever you may chafe before heading out. The powder will help reduce friction when running to keep your skin protected and smooth. I have done this many times and it works wonders. Your skin can get so irritated in the summer heat and this will help a ton!
12. To ease waxing pain, dust the area with baby powder before applying the wax. The powder will absorb moisture and body oils so the wax can properly adhere to each hair, plus it will create a barrier to protect your skin.
13. To fight shoe odor, lightly dust the inside of your shoes with powder and let them sit overnight. I love to do this to my kid’s shoes after sports practice. These are my daughter’s track shoes and about once a week I like to sprinkle some powder in them to keep them fresh!
14. For squeaky floorboards, sprinkle some baby powder between the boards and sweep into the cracks. No need to have that creaky noise bother you all day long and wake your kids up at night. Just sprinkle, sweep, and you are all set.
15. Dust a tangled necklace chain with baby powder to make it easier to untangle. I have no idea how my jewlery constantly gets so tangled. This is a picture of 3 of my necklaces just after a vacation. I had nicely put them in a bag and them came out of my suitcase looking like this! I love this simple trick because it saves me SO much time when I am untangling my jewelry messes!
16. Coat your hands with baby powder, or dust the inside of your gloves, to make it easier to put on rubber gloves. This is awesome for when you are cleaning! It will make taking off those germ-infested gloves much easier. Plus, it will make your gloves smell so clean and fresh!
17. Apply it to the insides of your heels! By doing so, you will be able to keep the swelling down in your feet and prevent them from swelling as the day goes on. Not only that, your feet will smell great!
These are just 17 of the awesome ways that you can use baby powder to make your life a little easier. They are all easy to do and will take just a minute. The thing that sells me is that we could go out and buy a dry shampoo, something to make our shoes smell good, a product to kill ants, or a product to protect our skin before waxing…but why not just buy one product that can do it all?
Comment below and let me know if you have any other ways you love to use baby powder? I love hearing from you and knowing how you use everyday household products!
Find a deal on Baby Powder!