- 3 3/4 to 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- butter for tops of rolls
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix together about 3 3/4 cups flour, sugar, yeast, and salt.
- In a medium bowl or large glass measuring cup, add water, milk, and butter pieces. Microwave until it reaches 115 degrees on a thermometer, about 1 minute 15 seconds. Stir to help the butter melt partially.
- Pour milk mixture into the flour mixture. Add the lemon juice. Mix on low speed and gradually increase to a medium-low speed, let knead for about 3-4 minutes until smooth and elastic. Add small amounts of additional flour as needed. Dough should be clearing the sides of the bowl and be lightly sticky or tacky but still manageable.
- Leave the dough in the mixer bowl or transfer to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, butter or grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Gently punch down dough and fold the sides in to help form a rectangle or square shape. Then gently pat the dough to finish shaping into a level rectangular shape. Cut into 15 equal portions, taking some dough from bigger pieces and giving it to smaller ones. Shape dough into 15 balls and place in the prepared baking dish.
- Dampen fingers with water and brush them over the tops of the dough balls, to help keep the dough from drying out. Place dish in the oven, close oven door, and turn oven off. (If your oven is gas, you may want to leave the oven on for most of the rising time.) Let rise in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Then remove rolls from oven and let sit while the oven preheats to 375 degrees. Once the oven is preheated, bake the rolls for 14-16 minutes, until tops are light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and brush with melted butter, or swipe with a stick of butter. Serve rolls warm.