- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup high quality oil (olive or vegetable)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 6 Granny Smith apples (almost 3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- Adjust oven rack to the lowest position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 9- or 9.5-inch pie pan, mix together the flour, sugar, and salt with a fork. Mix the milk into the oil. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the oil mixture. Mix with a fork until the dough come together and ingredients are evenly combined. Flatten and press the dough into the pie pan to form a pie shell. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cinnamon, sugars, flour, and extract. Set aside.
- Peel, core, and cut the apples into thin slices. Then add the apple slices to the bowl with the cinnamon mixture and toss to coat. Dump the apples, mounding in the center, into the unbaked pie crust.
- For the crumb topping, add flour and sugar to a medium bowl, then use a pastry blender to cut the cold butter in until the mixture is crumbly. Cover the pie filling with the crumb topping.
- Place the pie in a large brown paper grocery bag. Fold the open end of the bag and staple it shut. Place the bagged pie in the oven and bake for 90 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Then open the bag and remove the perfect pie!