- 2 tsp. yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (If you don't have buttermilk, regular milk will work too)
- 1/2 canola oil
- 1/2 brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 Tbs. salt
- Proof the yeast (optional) and 1/3 cup warm water. In a separate bowl, combine the oats and boiling water. Let both mixtures stand 8-10 minutes. The yeast should look creamy and foamy.
- Place all ingredients except salt into a mixer. Knead with dough hook for 2-3 minutes, then let rest for 20 minutes. Add salt and knead with dough hook in mixer on medium for an additional 15 minutes.
- Turn the dough out into a well oiled bowl. Turn the dough to coat it, then cover and let rise for approx. 1 hour or until it has doubled.
- Punch down the dough and cut in half. Talk one half and place on a clean, lightly floured surface and press into a rectangle shape. Now roll into a larger rectangle. Fold into thirds, letter-style, then roll up. Pinch the seams closed and place seam side down into your prepared loaf pan. You can also just set on a baking sheet to bake if you don't mind it taking on it's own shape. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Lightly brush with water and sprinkle a few additional oats onto the top of the loaf. Very gently press into place. Let rise in a warm place for an additional 30-60 minutes.
- Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 30-40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the internal temp reaches 190-200 degrees.