What Are Catalinas?
Confused about the word *CATALINA*???
We use it a lot in these parts. In fact, we heart them! Nope, it’s not an island in the coupon world… and we aren’t referring to salad dressing. A catalina is a coupon!
Catalina Category Marketing (CCM) or Catalina’s are also known as “check-out coupons”. These offer incentives good on your next shopping trip to that retailer. They give you anywhere between 10 days to 3 months to use them so check the dates.
Some are triggered by certain things that you buy.
- One time I bought Yoplait yogurt, and got a catalina for $1 off of a 6-pack of Yobaby Organic yogurt.
- When I bought Progresso chicken broth I got a catalina for $1 off of Swansons broth.
- When I bought beech nut baby food I got a catalina for .50 of of Gerber baby food. You get it?
Some times the coupon is good on the same brand that triggered the coupon:
- Some times when you do a transaction and buy a certain # of a particular item, a catalina coupon will print out at the end of the transaction. Here is an example of this happening – the Propel Water catalina coupon deal.
- One time I bought Betty Crocker fruit snacks I got a coupon for $1.50 off of 5 boxes, and in another transaction at the same store I got a coupon for .75 off of 3 boxes.
- When I bought GM Cereal I got $2 off my next five boxes.
It can vary by store:
- When I was chasing the diaper deal last week I went to four different stores and only one of them gave me these $2.00 catalina’s for Dreft each time I bought the diapers. So not all stores are the same even in the same chain.
LIKE STORE CASH
Sometimes a catalina prints and has a particular “cash value” that you can use at that store, on your next shopping trip (on anything excluding tobacco, postage, and a few other things).
SPEND X Amount, Get X Amount Back
- With the diaper deal, they advertised “Spend $30 get $15 for your next shopping trip” and “Spend $25 get $5 for your next shopping trip”. After I paid, these great little “catalinas” printed out of the machine for $5.00 each! They could be used on my next transaction, and would deduct $5 from my total for each catalina I gave the cashier.
STACK those Catalinas!
- If you wanted to, you could do several transactions and earn those catalinas, and then use your catalinas for purchasing your meat or produce.
ROLL those Catalinas!
- To use them the most effective way is to “roll” them. In the case of the “Spend $30, get $15 back” deal, I would get $30 of participating products. You want to get as close to that target number as you can (with out going under – even if you’re a penny under, you won’t trigger the catalina). I then hand over my coupons, so my out of pocket would actually be less than $30. This is OK because the “sale price” is what triggers the catalina. After I pay, three $5.00 catalinas would print out.
- Now I’ve got $15.00 of store cash. Am I going to leave? NOPE! I’m going to do the deal again! This time I might purchase some other items in the promo, or I’ll do the exact same transaction again. Get to the target amount ($30 in this example) with the product I purchase, use coupons to lower the total, and THEN I get to hand over my three $5.00 catalinas. NOW my total out of pocket is even $15.00 less! What happens again? That’s right – ANOTHER set of catalinas will print out!
- Wash. Rinse. Repeat. (we usually do three transactions in a row before we take our groceries out to the car)
Wondering what Catlinas are running right now?
Here is a list of current catalinas. Some times these catalinas are advertised, and some times they are not! Sometimes (randomly) a advertisement will print out of the catalina machine letting you know about an upcoming catalina. Don’t toss these! Email us the information so we can add it to our list!
Q: Are catalinas manufacturer’s coupons or store coupons?
A: Generally, they are manufacturer’s coupons, although occasionally one will state that it is a Store Coupon. The manufacturer’s coupon catalinas are not able to be combined with other manufacturer’s coupons.
In other words, if you have a catalina for $1.00/2 product X and also an insert coupon for $1.00/2, you would need to purchase 4 of the product in order to use both coupons.
Q: How can I contact Catalina Category Marketing, in case I have a question about whether my local store is doing a particular promotion?
A: Their toll free numbers are 1-(888) 322-3814 or 1-888-8COUPON (1-888-826-8766).
Q: Can I use a catalina coupon at a store other than the one where it printed?
A: YMMV, but typically yes, if the other store accepts competitor’s coupons.
FAQ Source: Hot Coupon World
Buy Our 90 Minute DVD NOW and we’ll SHOW you the power of catalinans, along with all the secrets to successful couponing!
Learn all about our DVD here (and order from this page too!).
Trending Blog Posts
Report a Problem
Please select the problem you are facing with this deal:
- Price Increased
- Price Decreased
- No longer available
- Link doesn't work
Add more details:
Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate it.
Enter your email address if you would like to receive a follow up.
Please Try Again