What Are Catalinas?
Confused about the word *CATALINA*???
We use it a lot in these parts. In fact, we heart them! Nope, it’s not an island in the coupon world… and we aren’t referring to salad dressing. A catalina is a coupon!
Catalina Category Marketing (CCM) or Catalina’s are also known as “check-out coupons”. These offer incentives good on your next shopping trip to that retailer. They give you anywhere between 10 days to 3 months to use them so check the dates.
Some are triggered by certain things that you buy.
- One time I bought Yoplait yogurt, and got a catalina for $1 off of a 6-pack of Yobaby Organic yogurt.
- When I bought Progresso chicken broth I got a catalina for $1 off of Swansons broth.
- When I bought beech nut baby food I got a catalina for .50 of of Gerber baby food. You get it?
Some times the coupon is good on the same brand that triggered the coupon:
- Some times when you do a transaction and buy a certain # of a particular item, a catalina coupon will print out at the end of the transaction. Here is an example of this happening – the Propel Water catalina coupon deal.
- One time I bought Betty Crocker fruit snacks I got a coupon for $1.50 off of 5 boxes, and in another transaction at the same store I got a coupon for .75 off of 3 boxes.
- When I bought GM Cereal I got $2 off my next five boxes.
It can vary by store:
- When I was chasing the diaper deal last week I went to four different stores and only one of them gave me these $2.00 catalina’s for Dreft each time I bought the diapers. So not all stores are the same even in the same chain.
LIKE STORE CASH
Sometimes a catalina prints and has a particular “cash value” that you can use at that store, on your next shopping trip (on anything excluding tobacco, postage, and a few other things).
SPEND X Amount, Get X Amount Back
- With the diaper deal, they advertised “Spend $30 get $15 for your next shopping trip” and “Spend $25 get $5 for your next shopping trip”. After I paid, these great little “catalinas” printed out of the machine for $5.00 each! They could be used on my next transaction, and would deduct $5 from my total for each catalina I gave the cashier.
STACK those Catalinas!
- If you wanted to, you could do several transactions and earn those catalinas, and then use your catalinas for purchasing your meat or produce.
ROLL those Catalinas!
- To use them the most effective way is to “roll” them. In the case of the “Spend $30, get $15 back” deal, I would get $30 of participating products. You want to get as close to that target number as you can (with out going under – even if you’re a penny under, you won’t trigger the catalina). I then hand over my coupons, so my out of pocket would actually be less than $30. This is OK because the “sale price” is what triggers the catalina. After I pay, three $5.00 catalinas would print out.
- Now I’ve got $15.00 of store cash. Am I going to leave? NOPE! I’m going to do the deal again! This time I might purchase some other items in the promo, or I’ll do the exact same transaction again. Get to the target amount ($30 in this example) with the product I purchase, use coupons to lower the total, and THEN I get to hand over my three $5.00 catalinas. NOW my total out of pocket is even $15.00 less! What happens again? That’s right – ANOTHER set of catalinas will print out!
- Wash. Rinse. Repeat. (we usually do three transactions in a row before we take our groceries out to the car)
Wondering what Catlinas are running right now?
Here is a list of current catalinas. Some times these catalinas are advertised, and some times they are not! Sometimes (randomly) a advertisement will print out of the catalina machine letting you know about an upcoming catalina. Don’t toss these! Email us the information so we can add it to our list!
Q: Are catalinas manufacturer’s coupons or store coupons?
A: Generally, they are manufacturer’s coupons, although occasionally one will state that it is a Store Coupon. The manufacturer’s coupon catalinas are not able to be combined with other manufacturer’s coupons.
In other words, if you have a catalina for $1.00/2 product X and also an insert coupon for $1.00/2, you would need to purchase 4 of the product in order to use both coupons.
Q: How can I contact Catalina Category Marketing, in case I have a question about whether my local store is doing a particular promotion?
A: Their toll free numbers are 1-(888) 322-3814 or 1-888-8COUPON (1-888-826-8766).
Q: Can I use a catalina coupon at a store other than the one where it printed?
A: YMMV, but typically yes, if the other store accepts competitor’s coupons.
FAQ Source: Hot Coupon World