Walgreens is a tricky store to navigate as a new couponer (and occasionally as an advanced couponer!). There are many facets of shopping Walgreens. Become familiar with the tricks of the trade below BEFORE you head out to coupon shop Walgreens and you will be able to shop there with confidence! Make sure you have a Balance Reward Card. You won’t receive sale prices if you don’t have one!
1. Never leave home without a copy of their coupon policy. Print it HERE and keep it in your binder. A few coupon rules to note:
- They DO accept internet printable manufacturer coupons.
- They do NOT accept competitor’s coupons.
- They do NOT price match.
- When purchasing a single item, Walgreens accepts one manufacturer coupon and applicable Walgreens coupon(s) for the purchase of a single item, unless prohibited by either coupon offer.
- The number of manufacturer coupons, including Register RewardsTM manufacturer coupons, may not exceed the number of items in the transaction. (If you want to buy 3 Crest toothpastes but you have 3 manufacturer coupons and 1 RR to pay for your transaction, your coupon:items ratio is off. You will need to purchase a small filler item like a $0.10 pencil to keep your coupon:items ratio balanced).
- In the event that any item’s selling price is less than the value of the coupon, Walgreens will only accept the coupon in exchange for the selling price of the item. Coupon redemption can never exceed the selling price of an item and no cash back is ever provided in exchange for any coupons. The coupon amount must be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied. (For example, a $5.00 coupon for a $4.99 item will result in a $4.99 coupon value).
- When items are featured in a Buy One, Get One Free promotion, up to two coupons can be used against the items being purchased, as long as the net price does not go below zero for the items being purchased.
- Management reserves the right to limit the quantity of items purchased.
- Any coupon offer not covered in these guidelines will be accepted at the discretion of Walgreens management.
2. Learn the Lingo:
- Register Rewards (RR): Manufacturer coupons that print out of the Catalina machine at the register after you have purchased certain qualifying products. They act as in-store cash and can be redeemed like cash on future Walgreen’s purchases.
- Weekly In-ad Coupons: In-store Walgreens coupons found in the Walgreens weekly ad released on Sunday. They are good for 7 days and expire when the next Sunday ad is released. Can be stacked with a manufacturer coupon.
- Walgreens Monthly Coupon Book: A monthly coupon book found in-store filled with Walgreens Instant Value Coupons (IVC). Can be stacked with a manufacturer coupon. These coupons do not need to be handed over after the cashier has scanned them, and can be reused the entire month. Even when purchasing multiple items, the coupon only needs to be scanned once.
- Balance Rewards: Walgreens loyalty program.
3. Play the Register Rewards game to maximize savings, but follow all the rules:
- You will only get one RR per transaction per promotion. Let’s say Nivea body wash is on an RR promotion: Buy 1 Nivea body wash for $4.99, receive a $4.99 RR at checkout. If you buy 2 Nivea body washes in the same transaction, only ONE RR will print out. You must do multiple transactions to get multiple RRs on the same item. You can however get multiple RRs in the same transaction when purchasing items from separate RR promotions. ie. If you buy Nivea body wash and another RR promo item in the same transaction, you will get an RR for each product as long as they are part of different promotions.
- Rolling Register Rewards is the KEY to successfully shopping Walgreens! By doing multiple transactions and using the RR you received from a previous transaction to pay for your next transaction, you have successfully rolled your RRs to lower your out of pocket expense. See great examples of how to roll your RR transactions HERE and HERE.
- You cannot roll Register Rewards transactions within the same promo. If you use a RR you just received for buying Crest to pay for more Crest in a subsequent transaction, you WILL NOT receive another RR. You have to alternate your transaction as shown HERE and HERE.
4. There is an order to hand over your coupons to avoid register beeps!
3. Register Rewards