Top Travel Apps
I have been testing out a new Windows Phone this summer and taking it on trips as the perfect travel companion. I love how clear the photos are with the camera, I love the kid friendly features and I love the money saving travel apps!
Better Pictures from Your Phone:
Leave that heavy camera at home: Families want to capture all those special vacation moments, but they don’t want to lug around a heavy camera. More people than ever are using their phones to
take pictures – they use the camera more than they text! The Nokia Lumia 920 and 928 Windows Phones give your SLR a run for its money, taking bright, clear shots on the go. When compared side by side I was surprised to find that the Windows Phone out performed my other smartphone (which also has a 8 MP camera) when taking pictures.
- It’s dark: These Windows Phones take in five times more light per picture than other smartphone cameras without the use of a flash, which helps when you’re trying to capture your group at a dark restaurant or when you’re touring a city by night.
- You (or your subject) is moving: There is a floating lens in the phone’s camera that lets you take clear blur-free photos and video, even with a shaky hand or when your kid is on the move.
- I love the app PhotoGrid. I used it on my Windows Phone to make the collage you see below. I emailed it to myself and added a caption with picmonkey. You can even share your collage creations with friends.
Kid Friendly Phone Features:
Worry-free phone sharing: This is one of my favorite features because I have never seen it on a smartphone before. There must be some parents in the developing department for Windows Phones. Windows Phone features Kid’s Corner, a second screen on your phone just for your kids, filled with the apps, games, music and videos you choose for them. Best of all, your kids can’t get back into your phone – it’s password protected. Hand off your phone without worry that they’ll email your boss, make a call, or buy a bunch of apps… while still keeping them quietly entertained. This is a fantastic feature for the 75% of parents who share their phone with their kids. This is a great feature for traveling if you want to keep your little one entertained with your phone!
Top Travel Apps:
All of these travel apps can be found in the Windows Phone market, many of them can also be found in the Android and iphone market. If you can not find the exact same app, look for a similar one.
- HERE Drive (Free) – Turn-by-turn voice guided navigation app for Windows Phone 8 that even works offline, so you’ll never lose your directions if you lose service. It offers full support in 89 countries around the world, even informing you of the local speed limit.
- Google Maps (Free) – Voice activated navigation and maps for google users.
- GasBuddy (Free) – Find the best deals on gas for your family road trip with GasBuddy. This Windows Phone app also allows you to pin individual gas stations to your Start screen to get real-time updates on gas prices.
- Spotify (Free) – I listen to this all the time on my PC at home. But you can take your playlists on the go for free with the phone app. For the long journey ahead, make a playlist suitable for the whole family with Spotify. With Spotify Premium you can access a library full of millions of tracks, and take your playlists on the go in offline mode – no connection needed. Spotify sounds even better with Beats Audio on a Windows Phone.
- Travel Time (Free) – Travel Time app lets your child’s imagination run wild. Filled with a variety of different vehicles with realistic sound effects, fun art and great animations this is the family friendly app you’ve been looking for to keep your child occupied on those long journeys.
- ATM Hunter (Free) – You’re in unfamiliar territory but need access to cash fast. MasterCard’s ATM Hunter will find ATMs located around the world with your GPS.
- Fly Delta (Free) – When facing the ins and outs of travel, a little peace of mind can go a long way. That’s why the Fly Delta app includes industry-leading features to manage your travel on the go.
- Look for apps for your favorite airline. Most airlines have apps with up to date travel info.
- AccuWeather (Free) – AccuWeather for Windows Phone provides the most accurate and detailed hourly forecasts for more than 2.7 million locations worldwide.
- Kayak (Free) – Find a flight, hotel or car using your Windows Phone – KAYAK searches hundreds of travel sites at once. We have more info coming soon.
- Translator (Free) – Bing Translator is your companion when you need to overcome the language barrier. Use your camera, voice or keyboard to enter text you want to translate. Use Bing Translator on-the-go, even when you don’t have an Internet connection.
- TranZilla Translator – in addition to text translation, tranzilla has voice translation as well.
This post is sponsored by Windows Phone…
Quick Facts For the Windows Phone 8X by HTC:
- Carriers: AT&T, T-Mobile USA, Verizon
- Colors: California Blue, Limelight (yellow), Graphite Black, Flame Red
- Display: 4.3” super LCD 2 touch screen with HD 720p resolution Gorilla
- Processor: 1.5 GHz dual-core Qualcomm S4
- Camera: 8MP with auto focus, LED flash, and BSI sensor; 1080p video recording
- Front-Facing Camera: 2.1MP; 1080p video recording
- Battery: Embedded & rechargeable Li-ion Polymer battery, 1800mAh
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 122x 68x 10.01mm
- Weight: 130 g
- Memory: 1 GB RAM memory; 8 GB, 16 GB