- 2 medium zucchini (about 3 cups)
- 12 tablespoons butter, melted (slightly cooled)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease and lightly flour bundt pan or 4 mini loaf pans. Be sure to tap out extra flour. Or use a baking cooking spray.
- Grate the zucchini using the large holes of the grater. Then wrap the shredded zucchini in a dry, clean kitchen towel. Squeeze out the excess moisture. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and poppy seeds.
- In a large bowl, stir together the eggs and sugar. Gradually stir in the zucchini, melted butter, lemon zest and juice. Then stir the flour mixture into the zucchini mixture, just until combined. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes (bundt pan) or 40-45 minutes (4 mini loaf pans), or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes before removing from the pan. Turn the cake out onto the wire rack. Let cool for an additional 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the glaze ingredients until smooth. You want the glaze to be about the consistency of honey. If the glaze is too thick, add more lemon juice. If it is too thin, add more powdered sugar. Once the cake has cooled, place a cookie sheet or parchment paper under the wire rack and cake to catch excess glaze . Brush the glaze onto the top and sides of the cake. Then spoon the glaze over the top of the cake and let it drip down. Repeat until you have used all of the glaze. Serve.