Taco Casserole: Reader Submitted Recipe!
Reader Marcia said. “My husband and I decided to try this new recipe on the back of the Ortega Taco Shell box instead of our regular tacos and it was excellent (with a few modifications).” I tried it out myself and my family ate it too!
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion chopped
1 cup salsa (we used Pace because that’s what we had, but the recipe calls for 1 cup Ortega thick & smooth taco sauce)
3/4 cup water
1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
1 pkg (1.25 oz) taco seasoning mix
1 pkg (12) Ortega Taco Shells, broken and divided (can also sub corn chips)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese – we used more because that wasn’t enough to cover the entire casserole.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease 9×13 baking dish
- Cook beef and onion until beef is browned, drain and rinse
- Stir in taco sauce or salsa, water, chiles, and seasoning mix
- Cook over low for 3-4 minutes
- Layer half the broken shells on the bottom of baking dish, cover with half of the meat mixture, sprinkle with one cup of cheese, repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melted. Makes 8 servings.
We garnished with olives, lettuce then tomatoes on top. But other suggestions are sliced green onions, sour cream or jalapenos.
My son ate every last bite and we absolutely loved this dish – ENJOY!!!