- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) uncooked bacon, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken, cut into chunks
- 2 1/2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound petite baby carrots (or peeled carrots cut into small pieces)
- 2 onions, cut in fourths
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon seasoning salt (like Lawry's)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup Sprite (or apple juice)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large dutch oven, cook the bacon pieces until crisp. Remove bacon, leaving grease behind.
- Combine flour and seasoning salt in a gallon bag. Add chunked chicken to the bag and shake to coat. Then brown the chicken in the bacon grease in the dutch oven over medium-high heat. Remove chicken.
- Add the ingredients into the now-empty dutch oven in this order - onions, then potatoes, carrots, chicken, and bacon. Then pour Sprite over all.
- Cover dutch oven and bake for 45-55 minutes, until potatoes and carrots are tender. Top with shredded cheese and serve.
Camping Dutch Oven Instructions:
- Prep the ingredients as instructed above. Then place dutch oven onto 11 hot coals in a checkerboard pattern. Cover oven and place 17 hot coals on top. This will give you 320 degrees. Cook 45 minutes. Remove lid. Add cheese. Replace lid. Cook for 10 more minutes. Serve.