For the Soup:
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic, Minced
- 1 lb Beef
- 2 Cans Crushed Tomatoes (I like Rotel, it adds extra spice and flavor)
- 2 Cans Black Beans, drained
- 3 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- To Garnish:
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Cilantro
- 1 Lime
- Sour Cream
- In a large stock pot heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until golden brown.
- Add ground beef and brown until no pink meat remains, breaking up as you cook.
- Add tomatoes, black beans, chili powder, salt, pepper and water. Stir together.
- Additional salt and pepper can be added to taste.
- Turn heat down to low and cover. Let simmer for 25 minutes.
- Serve and garnish with lime juice, cilantro, sour cream and cheese as desired.