My sister in law posted this recipe on her blog and I made it this past week and got rave reviews from the family! The mini-bow tie pasta was less than $1 per box at Fred Meyer, and I had everything else on hand!
I have to warn you… at first when I looked at all the ingredients, I was overwhelmed. BUT instead of parsley, basil, and oregano, I just used Italian seasoning. It was MUCH easier! This one will become a regular on my monthly menu! (Thanks Marji!)
1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove minced garlic
1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes, undrained
1 1/4 cups water
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups bow tie pasta, uncooked
1 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Dash basil, pepper
In large skillet, brown beef with onions and garlic; drain. Add tomatoes, water, tomato sauce, parsley, basil, oregano, and salt. Mix well. Stir in uncooked pasta. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover, simmer for 20 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring once. Stir in cottage cheese. Cover with and Parmesan cheese, and sprinkle in basil and pepper to taste if desired. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
* I usually just use dried chopped onion and garlic. It is just easier for me.
* I strain the cottage cheese before adding it.
* I only add 1 tsp. dried parsley.
In the comments, a reader left her favorite breadstick recipe:
1½ cups warm water
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. yeast
Let that sit for 5 minutes. Then add:
3½ cups flour
1 tsp Salt
Mix until smooth then let raise for 10 minutes. Roll out dough into a large square on a floured surface. Brush with melted (real) butter mixed with garlic and then sprinkle with kosher salt. Fold in half and cut into 1 inch strips. Twist and place on a cooking sheet. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes to raise. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately after baking, brush with more garlic butter and sprinkle with kosher salt and grated parmesan cheese.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 8- ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups bow tie pasta uncooked
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Dash basil pepper
- In large skillet, brown beef with onions and garlic; drain.
- Add tomatoes, water, tomato sauce, parsley, basil, oregano, and salt.
- Mix well.
- Stir in uncooked pasta.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat; cover, simmer for 20 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring once.
- Stir in cottage cheese.
- Cover with and Parmesan cheese, and sprinkle in basil and pepper to taste if desired.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.