- 1 box (15.25 oz) Betty Crocker German Chocolate cake mix
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup (11 tablespoons) butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 60 (about 1 pound) Kraft caramels, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a 9x9 square baking pan with foil, allowing ends to hang over the edge of the pan. Spray foil with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir the dry cake mix, 1/3 cup evaporated milk, and melted butter until incorporated.
- Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan. Place the bowl with the other half of the batter in the refrigerator.
- Bake for about 8 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the brownie layer, and set aside.
- Add caramels and 1/2 cup of evaporated milk to a medium glass bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between, until smooth. (Or use a double boiler on the stove top to gently melt the caramels.)
- Pour the caramel over the brownie base.
- With the chilled half of brownie batter, use your hands to flatten small amounts at a time into discs, about 1/8-inch thick. Place the discs of batter over the caramel layer until you have covered the top. (It’s ok if there are some holes.)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, about 1-2 hrs, then cover and refrigerate for at least a few hours, until ready to serve.
- Using the foil, lift brownies out of the pan and cut them into 16 bars and serve.
Brownies will need to cool for at least 3 hours before serving.