Roasted Carrot Ginger Soup
Maybe it’s the springing ahead that’s done it, I’m not sure. I have Spring fever and it’s time to lighten up! Roasted Carrot Ginger Soup is a perfect, flavorful-blend, for those who need a time out from heavy soups, stews, and chilies.
I had some organic garden carrots that have wintered in my garage well. I needed to cook them up, so I doubled the recipe and froze half of my soup. I relish the feeling of having my freezer filled with lovely meals to heat and serve. This one fills the bill. Bag it, label it, and freeze it flat for sunny days ahead when you are playing in your garden.
To make Roasted Carrot Ginger Soup:
Preheat oven to 400˚degrees. Peel and cut 6 cups of carrots into approximately 2-inch pieces. Throw them in a bowl and add oil, kosher salt, and pepper. Toss them until well coated and add them to a baking sheet. Place in the oven and stir and flip every 15 minutes until roasted. Mine took about 20 minutes, (see picture below). Next peel and mince fresh ginger and onions. Add them to a soup-pot along with about 1 tablespoon of oil. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until they are just beginning to brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the carrots and stock to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook together for 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
Roasted carrots add such a delicious flavor to your finished soup. The carrots will be lightly blistered and golden brown after 45 minutes in the oven.
To finish it up, puree soup with a blender or immersion blender. Return soup to medium heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and stir in the heavy cream. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Serves 4-6.
Looking for an Emerald Isle accompaniment to serve with Roasted Carrot Ginger Soup? Here’s my absolutely ideal, rustic, whole grain side, Irish Brown Bread. It’s my prized celebratory kind of meal.
My immersion blended does a fine job of pureeing soups, chopping nuts, and mixing ham or chicken salad in a flash. It’s so handy for small jobs when I don’t really need to get out my big blender or food processor. I’m not sure I would have ever purchased one for myself, but I was given one very similar to the Cuisinart Smart Stick 2-Speed 200-watt Immersion Hand Blender with Attachments. I have just about worn the poor thing out and would replace it in a heartbeat. Mother’s Day is right around the corner and this would be a great group gift…just saying…she’d love it!
Roasted Carrot Ginger Soup
- 6 cups carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 piece of fresh ginger, (about 1-1/2" piece) peeled and minced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400˚degrees. Place carrots in a large bowl and drizzle oil over the top. Toss to coat and add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss again. Spread on a baking sheet. Bake and stir every 15 minutes or so until tender and lightly browned, about 45 minutes total.
- While the carrots are roasting heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they begin to brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add the ginger and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes until ginger is tender. When carrots are roasted add them to the pot and simmer with onions and ginger for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- With a blender or immersion blender puree the soup. Place soup over medium heat and return to simmer. Reduce heat to low and stir in the heavy whipping cream. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve.
Gluten Free, Low-carb, a great Freezer Meal.