Razzleberry Pie Bars
Happy Birthday USA! Let’s celebrate with red, white, and blueberry…
All-American Razzleberry Pie Bars. Get ready for a little bit of almond crunch, juicy berries bursting like fireworks, and a tender crumb with each bite you take. At my house, just add a scoop of ice cream, “Old Glory”, and let the party begin!
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13x9x2″ pan with foil. Be sure to extend the foil over the edges of the pan; set aside.
For the crust, in a large bowl or food processor, stir together the flour, almonds, and brown sugar. Cut in the butter until it resembles fine crumbs. If you don’t have a food processor, a pastry blender will also work great. Remove 1-1/2 cups of the mixture and set to the side. Press the remaining mixture evenly into the bottom of prepared baking pan to form the crust. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
For the filling, in another large bowl, combine the granulated sugar, cornstarch, and lemon peel. Add the berries and vanilla extract; toss gently to combine. Spoon berry filling over hot baked crust, spread evenly. The mixture will be wet. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
Bake about 40 minutes more or until filling is bubbly and topping is lightly browned. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Using the edges of the foil, lift the baked mixture out of the pan. Let cool completely. Cut into bars.
Enjoy a wonderful week friends. May we reflect upon the greatness of our country and the freedoms we enjoy. We’d love to hear how you are celebrating, and of course, the fabuless goodies you will be serving!
Razzleberry Pie Bars
- 2 cups flour
- 1-1/4 cups almonds finely ground
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup butter cut up
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- zest from one lemon finely shredded
- 4 cups unsweetened raspberries blueberries and blackberries, thawed and drained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Line a 13x9x2" baking pan with foil, extending the foil over the edges of the pan; set aside.
- For crust, in a large bowl, stir together the flour, almonds, and brown sugar.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Remove 1-1/2 cups of the mixture; set aside.
- Press the remaining crumbs evenly into the bottom of prepared baking pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- For the filling, in another large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and lemon peel.
- Add berries and vanilla extract; tossing gently to combine.
- Spoon berry filling over hot baked crust, spreading evenly, mixture will be wet.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake about 40 minutes more or until filling is bubbly and topping is lightly browned.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Using the edges of the foil, lift the baked mixture out of the pan.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into bars.
- Makes 24 bars.