- 1 pound frozen breaded boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces penne
- 4 ounces shredded Italian cheese blend (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Bake the chicken according to package instructions. Let cool slightly and slice crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475.
- Meanwhile, pulse the tomatoes in a food processor until coarsely ground and no large pieces remain, about 12 pulses. Cook oil, garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in 12-inch ovensafe skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in processed tomatoes, water, 1 cup broth, and pasta. Cover and cook at vigorous simmer, stirring often, until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Scatter sliced chicken evenly over top and sprinkle with cheese. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until cheese has melted and chicken is crisp, 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and serve.