- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 15 ounces 100% pure pumpkin (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (optional)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- toffee bits and/or caramel sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x9 baking pan well.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry cake mix, pumpkin pie spice, and the pumpkin. The batter will be thick. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cake cool completely.
- Turn out onto a serving platter, if desired. Using the handle of a mixing spoon, poke holes all over the top of the cake. Pour sweetened condensed milk over the cake, aiming to fill the holes. Refrigerate for at least a few hours, but overnight is best.
- Spread an 8-ounce tub of whipped topping over the cake, or make the whipped cream cheese frosting by beating together the whipped topping, cream cheese, and powdered sugar until smooth. If desired, sprinkle toffee bits or caramel sauce, or both, over the top. Keep refrigerated.