Peppermint Cream Bites
- 1 1/2 cups crushed chocolate sandwich cookies with white filling (about 15 cookies)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 2 teaspoons shortening
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over the pan edges; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine crushed cookies and melted butter. Press mixture into the bottom of prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 minutes. Cool slightly in pan on a wire rack.
3. Meanwhile, combine powdered sugar and softened butter in a food processor. Cover and process until butter is evenly distributed. With processor running, add milk and peppermint extract to make a paste. Spread peppermint mixture evenly over the prepared crust. Put in freezer for 45 minutes.
4. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine chopped chocolate and shortening. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 1 minute or until chocolate is melted, stirring once. Let chocolate cool 15 minutes. Pour chocolate over mint layer and spread evenly. Using the edges of the foil, lift the uncut bars out of the pan. Use a 1-1/2-inch round cookie cutter to cut mixture into rounds,* or cut mixture into squares. Makes 30 round bites.
Tip – To help push the cookie cutter through the mixture, press the top of the cookie cutter with the bottom of a measuring cup.
Storage – Place peppermint bites in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months.