- 1 3/4 cups whole, low-fat, or skim milk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the milk and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until the butter is melted, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to warm while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast together in a large bowl.
- Gradually whisk the warm milk mixture into the flour mixture until the batter is smooth.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla together in a small bowl until combined.
- Then whisk the egg mixture into the batter until incorporated.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours. (Batter will double in size.)
- When ready, heat the waffle iron.
- Remove the waffle batter from the refrigerator and whisk to recombine and deflate the batter.
- Bake the waffles according to the waffle iron instructions. (About 1/2 cup for a 7-inch round iron and 1 cup for 9-inch square.)
The waffles are best fresh from the iron, but can be held in an oven until all of the batter is used, if needed.