Mystery Pecan Pie
On Thanksgiving I like to enjoy a small amount of all the goodies, remembering, “So many calories, in so little time!” If given the choice, pecan pie or cheesecake, I can never decide between the two. I always take a, “sliver of each!”
Mystery Pecan Pie is a combo of both of my favorite decadent desserts. A small slice is enough to make you swoon.
Wondering what the mystery ingredient is? You’re right if you guessed the cream cheese.
Let’s get started: First of all you need to prepare a pie crust. You can use 2 packaged refrigerated pie crusts or your favorite double crust recipe. Make sure the dough is divided. Roll out the crust on a lightly floured board. Lightly brush top crust with water. Roll out remaining crust and place it over the first crust. Gently roll or press the crusts together. Yes, it’s a double crust on the bottom pie crust! I like to use my rolling pin to ease the pie crust over my 9-inch pie dish. Fold edges under and crimp.
Beat cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and salt on medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour into pie crust and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
Stir together corn syrup, melted butter, remaining 3 eggs, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla; pour over pecans.
Bake at 350˚for 50 to 55 minutes or until set. Watch it carefully and cover crust with foil if it’s getting too brown….just saying, sadly, I got busy on a project and my pie shows what can happen when you don’t watch it carefully…yikes! I knew I was in trouble when the timer, set for 50 minutes went off. Time flies when you’re having fun!
Serve with whipped cream, (which will hide a multitude of sins), or vanilla ice cream if desired.
My husband said Mystery Pecan Pie tasted great even with an extra-crispy crust. He’s just happy when I bake him a pie, regardless of the outcome! I love the story of Mrs. Calvin Coolidge, an unruffled hostess. When a maid DROPPED the turkey on the dining room floor, she calmly said, “That’s OK Mary, just take this turkey back into the kitchen and bring in the other one!”
After 40 Thanksgivings together my family knows it’s not all going to be perfect. What matters most is not what’s on the table, but who’s surrounding it.
Thanks for stopping by!
Recipe Source: Southern Living Cookbook
Mystery Pecan Pie
- 15 ounce package refrigerated piecrust
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- whipped cream or ice cream if desired
- UNROLL 1 piecrust, and place on a lightly floured surface; lightly brush top of crust with water.
- Unroll remaining crust, and place over bottom crust; gently roll or press crusts together.
- Fit into a 9-inch pieplate; fold edges under and crimp.
- BEAT cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and salt at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour into piecrust.
- Sprinkle with pecans.
- STIR together corn syrup, melted butter, remaining 3 eggs, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla; pour filling over pecans.
- BAKE at 350˚ for 50 to 55 minutes or until set.
- Cool completely.
- Top with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.