- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, plus more to dust
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Use a food processor or blender to finely chop the pecans. Add the powdered sugar to the pecans and pulse a few times to combine. Or you can mix together by hand.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Drop in the chunks of butter and the shortening by the teaspoonful. Mix with your hands just until the mixture turns into a coarse dough, with chunks of butter and shortening throughout. It is important not to over work the dough.
- Add the pecan mixture and work it in with your hands. Add the egg and thoroughly combine. In less than a minute, the dough should be soft and will start to form a ball. Don't over mix.
- Butter a cookie sheet. Form small balls, 1-1.5-inches wide, with the palms of your hands and place each on the cookie sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake for about 15 to 16 minutes, until light golden brown. Dust powdered sugar over the top and serve.