Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup
When life get too busy to make dinner just make soup! This is super yummy and easy, just throw all the ingredients in the crockpot on low and dinner is ready when you need it! The leftovers make great Freezer meals just put them in a freezer Ziploc bag and freeze for another night!
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 c chopped bell pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup diced tomatoes with liquid (from a 15-ounce can)
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- Chicken Soup Base (10 cups broth and 4 cups shredded chicken)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips (or just use chips)
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced (optional in my opinion)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (or the crockpot). In a large pot, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes and liquid, and cumin, chili powder and cooked rice cook until most of liquid is evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil; season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, on a rimmed baking sheet, toss tortilla strips with 2 teaspoons oil. Bake until crisp and golden, 8 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Divide chicken, avocado, cilantro, and scallion among six bowls; top with broth and tortilla strips. Serve with lime wedges.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
Crock-Pot 5-Quart Smudge Proof Slow Cooker ONLY $19.99