- 5 ounces animal crackers
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest (about 2 large limes)
- pinch table salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 4 large limes or 20 Key limes)
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut, toasted until golden (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Use foil to line an 8x8 pan, with overhang on 2 of the sides so it can be used like a sling. Spray the foil with cooking spray.
- In a food processor or high power blender, pulse animal crackers, brown sugar, and salt until evenly fine crumbs (about 1 1/4 cups crumbs). Add melted butter and pulse until crumbs are evenly moistened, about 10 pulses. Press crumbs evenly and firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown, 15-18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir cream cheese, zest, and salt with a rubber spatula until combined. Add sweetened condensed milk and whisk until incorporated and no lumps. Gently whisk in the egg yolk and lime juice until incorporated. Pour filling onto crust; spread to corners and smooth surface with the rubber spatula.
- Bake until set and edges begin to pull away slightly from the pan, about 15-20 minutes. Cool on rack to room temperature, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Lift bars from pan using the foil sling and cut into 16 squares. Sprinkle with toasted coconut, if desired. Enjoy!
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 2 days; crust will soften slightly.
Want more? Double recipe and make it in a 9x13 pan. Increase baking time by a few minutes, as needed.
3-4 hour cooling time is not included in the time estimates above!