Italian Light Apple Cake
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for pan
- 1 lemon, grated zest
- Pinch of ground nutmeg (spice coupon)
- Pinch of ground cinnamon (spice coupon)
- Pinch of ground allspice (spice coupon)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk (milk coupon)
- 3 apples, Granny Smith or Golden Delicious
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine all of the ingredients except apples in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer at medium speed until batter is formed.
- Butter and flour a 9- or 10- in springform pan. Pour in the batter
- Peel and core the apples and then thinly slice them. Arrange the slices in concentric circles on top of the batter. They will sink in a little.
- Bake the cake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out dry. Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly on a wire rack. Remove the pan sides and slip the cake onto a serving plate. Serve at room temperature. Top with ice cream. Serves 6-8.